Please Help Guess the Part!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warriormagee

Reaction score
2007 GMC Yukon XL 2WD 5.3L

I was trying to run down a vibration/rubbing sound I thought was coming from the rear differential. The outside of the transfer case is dry. Hanging down beside the transfer case was what looks like some sort of inline filter, connected on one side to a rubber hose. I assume the other side is supposed to be connected to another rubber hose. Looking for the other hose, I noticed what looked like a squarish box bolted to the bed, just in front of and above the rear transfer case. This whole area is covered in some type of fluid that I assume is because the filter looking piece isn't correctly attached any more. Couldn't detect an identifying smell.

** What is the inline filter looking thing?

** What kind of fluid might it be?

** What is the squarish box bolted to the underside of the bed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pics? were playing guess a whack a mole, fluid color? square box could be air ride pump but is generally close to the drivers side rear axle

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
pics? were playing guess a whack a mole, fluid color? square box could be air ride pump but is generally close to the drivers side rear axle
It was too dark for pics tonight. The fluid looked dark/black. It wasn't dripping wet (not sure how long it had been there/the filter looking thing had been unhooked). I was hoping that there couldn't be many inline filters in that area, so it would be easy to name. Not a fuel filter though, as there is no gas smell and I'm not losing fuel.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any unless someone added one to something, if so I would be maintenancing mine, fuel filter is in the gas tank they eliminated the one that used to be under the driver against the frame.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about a big squarish box in front of the rear differential and not the " rear transfer case" it might be the vapor canister which is part of the emissions. There are hoses going to it, as well as at least one valve. If something is disconnected to that system you should be getting a message on the DIC though. The only fluid in that area should be either differential fluid or fuel. I would suspect you'd know if it was fuel though from the smell.

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
Best pics I could get tonight. It felt like the hose connected to the filter went to the top of the rear transfer case. I'm thinking that the hose not connected to anything is the one that is supposed to be connected, unless it is some sort of loose vacuum tube. I'm still super confused. Transfer case fluid should be the only thing going in the transfer case...so does fluid travel between the front and rear transfer cases?

Inline Filter.jpg Inline Filter2.jpg Squarish Box.jpg Squarish Box2.jpg

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
If you're talking about a big squarish box in front of the rear differential and not the " rear transfer case" it might be the vapor canister which is part of the emissions. There are hoses going to it, as well as at least one valve. If something is disconnected to that system you should be getting a message on the DIC though. The only fluid in that area should be either differential fluid or fuel. I would suspect you'd know if it was fuel though from the smell.
Definitely not fuel, so I guess it is differential fluid (which is supported by my newest findings. I always thought that the differentials were a closed environment. I didn't know fluid traveled into and out of them. Is there only one spot to add new differential fluid?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats a vent for the transfer case, the original fell off and someone put a fuel filter on. A differential is the rear pumpkin looking housing with axle tubes sticking out of it that have your wheels on either end.D8E4A49F-AF82-43D8-8CBA-28AF7B6B9C99.jpeg

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it prob had fluid blowing out of it so they put that on to stop it. Check transfer case fluid level

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transfer case is right behind transmission. differentials, on a 4wd, are in the front and rear, pumpkin looking things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645