Pick Ups/Tahoe Rear Disc Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Think the S10 calipers worked, so it might be those. If it wasn't for the parking brake issue I would of picked a kit up.

Should work for either, 10" or 11" drums, right?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a really good price, i have a kit still waiting to be put on in the garage, or i'd hit you up for some parts.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not trying to threadjack, just figured i'd get some good opinions in this thread. would it be any easier to do a used rear end swap with disc brakes? or would it be too much of a pita to get it to mount up? i know that may be an option if you wanted to go lsd and get a 3/4 or 1 ton rear end and go 6 lug, change the front hubs/discs. didn't know if it was just too much hassle. it is expensive to go to the disc conversion, i've looked myself. for that price you could almost just swap rear end/front hubs and get 6 lug (if you wanted) and disc brakes. like i said, wasn't trying to threadjack, was just curious and saw some informed opinions in this thread. sorry if i stepped on toes. branndon

OP
OP

305Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not trying to threadjack, just figured i'd get some good opinions in this thread. would it be any easier to do a used rear end swap with disc brakes? or would it be too much of a pita to get it to mount up? i know that may be an option if you wanted to go lsd and get a 3/4 or 1 ton rear end and go 6 lug, change the front hubs/discs. didn't know if it was just too much hassle. it is expensive to go to the disc conversion, i've looked myself. for that price you could almost just swap rear end/front hubs and get 6 lug (if you wanted) and disc brakes. like i said, wasn't trying to threadjack, was just curious and saw some informed opinions in this thread. sorry if i stepped on toes. branndon

My toes are FIne....!!!

for $349 youll probably find a Disc Rear end But it wont be Posi or anything of that nature..
this kit is for 6 lug Only .. Its fairly simple swap compared to a HEAVY Rear end swap , wich you still have many Variables to consider...

1. Gear Ratio
2. if its NOT Posi or a Locker WHY Bother
3. COST for a Posi or LOCKER
4. Need Help as 1 Person ( average person working out of there house) Will have DIFFICULTY Changing alone
5. If you have it out Might as well Rebuild the Rear End, Unless Prior owner is Yourself Milleage on Rear end is UP for Grabs.
6 Keep your Rear End , Swap it out to Better Bracking Disc , Better Looking in just a Handfull of Hours......

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oops. i meant a posi. said lsd. oops, maybe too much "lsd." yeah, this was written from a 5 lug point of view, seems there's lots of options in 6 lug for wheels and such, just don't know if it's worth it to do all that. and you do have a good point about mileage on rear ends. didn't even think about that. but a posi sure would be fun, discs or no discs. :)

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another question, do you need any proportioning valve or anything if you go from drum to disc? haven't done a whole lot of research on that subject, was just curious.

OP
OP

305Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be COMPLETELY Honest , I have heard both sides...

The truck I installed it on Does NOt Have it, and has had a few hundred mile on it with no problems..
I have also done Rear disc conversion on S10 Trucks with NO Prop valve and have not had any issues..

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well that's good, i haven't looked to see if there are any orifices or anything that come with the aftermarket kits or not, was just a checkin. thanks for putting up with my silly questions.

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got any pics of the kit? what is exactly included and are instructions included? i may be very interested because im planning on redoing all my drums/shoes/brake kit in the back and would be pretty much smarter to just upgrade it to discs since im running the 28s this spring

anyway to tell me what the rotors/calipers came off so i could just get some drilled/slotted ones with some high end brake pads and you just charge me how ever less for not taking the pads/rotors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts