Paint Cancer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the paint cancer on my 99 tahoe. It's peeling pretty bad on the roof, and channels on the hood. Went to a shop today and was quoted $5,000 to repaint the whole truck, or $1,600 to just do the roof and hood. I really don't want to spend that kind of money on a truck that's only worth about $5,000 to the insurance company. What should I do? The sides look pretty good, a few little dings and scratches that will buff out.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, yesterday morning, I went to go get a quote too. I was thinking of using my tax return.
I was quoted $5500cad for the whole truck and $3000cad for the bottom half. It's starting to get some skin cancer.

It's always a question of how long are you going to keep the truck. This auto collision center gaurenties the paint job for 5-years.

IDK.. hmmm'ing and hawww'ing....

I'm thinking of going with just the bottom half for pretty much the same reasons as you.

Keep us posted with your thought processes about this. It may sway my either way.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems crazy expensive. If you sand, prime and tape your rig off amco (or maco or whatever it is) does a fairly cheap deal i think

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
$5K is pretty much the ballpark figure for a quality paint job.
See how much they will knock off if you do some of the prep work yourself. Removing the grill, bumpers, taping, etc.

txhoescrapin

Our needy member :-)
Reaction score
5k is not the going price her in TX, that is ludacris. I got a quote for 3k them doing it all.

OP
OP
G

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya 5k does seem a little nuts. I was thinking about 2-3k. The shop did guarantee it for life though. Also just found out that I need a new A/C compressor/orifice tube... $1000.

PATR1NYC

Reaction score
sorry to hear that bro...i say just try to get paint supplies and do it urself...

i also need a paint job and got a quote from a friend of a friend for $1500 to paint the whole truck flat or satin black.

goodluck with ur decision man...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadnerAutomotive