What's my recourse regarding some from-the-factory paint issues on my month-old truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking over my truck in some different lighting yesterday, I noticed some paint problems on my new truck. Specifically, at the leading edge of the driver's door, there is some paint downright missing from a crease/point in the shoulder line, and a few inches down the paint on the leading edge isn't smooth (looks like some clamped pliers on it when it was wet). Also, there's a tiny ding in the fender just ahead of the door jamb. These items are all within a 6" area of one another.

The truck is black, and so I'd imagine that any kind of repairs/touch-up can be done to match and look great. I'm just wondering if I even want to ask the dealer about fixing these issues, or what. To be clear, these are small defects, and I'm not interested in making a stink or anything like that. By the same token, the truck is brand new, and I'd like it to at least start out perfect.

I'm just wondering a) if the dealer will gladly fix the paint (if it's seen as a warranty item or something), or b) if the dealer will wash their hands of it -- and I should really be going to a different body shop for any corrections if I decide to go pursue fixing these things. (BTW, I like this dealership and the guys there who helped me through this purchase. I feel like I can have a candid conversation with them about the issues, but I'm just wondering what others' thoughts are on the matter.)

Thanks!

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the ding fixed by a PDR company and hopefully the Dealer will pay for it, I don’t like breaking the factory paint if you can live with the other two items or maybe try touch up.
That's how I thinking about it right now, too. Thanks.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue like that many years ago..... it "should" be easily covered by the factory warranty.
Ok. Can you shed more light on that for me? If it's clearly a from-the-factory issue and/or the truck is only so old, then they'll gladly fix the issues? Or...?

rmsnickers

Reaction score
Talk to the dealer and have them tell you what your options are. I had a list of items that I wasn't happy with and took it mine to my local dealer; they sent most of them back to Chevy who approved fixes under warranty although I'm still waiting on parts and for the work to be done. One thing my dealer kind of said "tough" to was a small paint blemish on the hood and chips on the red recovery hooks in front. Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to the dealer and have them tell you what your options are. I had a list of items that I wasn't happy with and took it mine to my local dealer; they sent most of them back to Chevy who approved fixes under warranty although I'm still waiting on parts and for the work to be done. One thing my dealer kind of said "tough" to was a small paint blemish on the hood and chips on the red recovery hooks in front. Best of luck to you!
Very helpful info. Thank you!

Yeah, I'd certainly expect the dealer to reject repairs to paint that could have been caused by road debris, etc. But these issues have clearly been present from day-one. And since the truck is new, and wasn't sold to me "as is," I'm hoping that the dealership will take care of them.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind also that post-factory paintwork won't hold up like the original finish will. There will always be adherence issues and with black paint it's super hard to get it glass smooth. So much so, I would be inclined to let it go if the blemish doesn't put the finish around it as risk (e.g. no edges to start flaking off, etc. For super tiny repairs like rock chips, I use a paint repair kit that includes a tiny brush, surface prep chemicals, color-matched paint, and a clear coat to help guard against the edges lifting up and flaking later. Works so well that you'd really have to be looking to notice the repair.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take some pics of the issues. I'm going to have a PDR place check out of the ding, and I'm inclined to let the rippled paint at the door edge go... But, the missing/chipped off paint at the shoulder line point needs something on it (touch up paint should do the trick). Still, having it done by a professional is what I'd prefer.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the pics of the ding, rough jamb paint (comes up looking like it’s chipped, but isn’t really), and the chipped-off area.

Attachments

• IMG_1933.jpeg
    IMG_1933.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1935.jpeg
    IMG_1935.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan