Budgeting for a paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can’t do a “scuff n spray” over failed paint. You can see the failed paint through the new paint, I’ve seen it done. You have to sand it down to bare metal, confirmed by every body shop that I got quotes from (and half said they still wouldn’t warranty it even sanding it down to bare metal). The straight costs of materials is probably 1/8th of the cost of a good paint job.

If you want to go cheap, get the hood and roof wrapped. That’s what the previous owner of my truck did and it actually didn’t look too bad. I think I was quoted $600 to do a fresh wrap on it.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know. And it doesn’t last. That sheeetz irritates me….. :rolleyes:
That’s unfortunate sorry to hear you had a bad experience. There’s so many factors that determine how well the panel will come out. Im merely a hobbyist diy painter with a couple nice guns and a decent compressor setup. My childhood best friends Dads famous quote for us around the shop: “you guys only know enough to be dangerous.”

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quality of the paint doesn’t matter. It’s the quality of the prep work that matters. Using the worst paint on the best prep work will look better and last longer than the best paint on the worst prep work.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Quality of the paint doesn’t matter. It’s the quality of the prep work that matters. Using the worst paint on the best prep work will look better and last longer than the best paint on the worst prep work.
100%! All about the prep.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s unfortunate sorry to hear you had a bad experience. There’s so many factors that determine how well the panel will come out. Im merely a hobbyist diy painter with a couple nice guns and a decent compressor setup. My childhood best friends Dads famous quote for us around the shop: “you guys only know enough to be dangerous.”
“You guys only know enough to be dangerous”… sounds like me :D I’d like to get where you’re at though as a hobby IDY painter. I’m gonna start researching what I need to make that happen.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
“You guys only know enough to be dangerous”… sounds like me :D I’d like to get where you’re at though as a hobby IDY painter. I’m gonna start researching what I need to make that happen.
You can get a decent diy spray gun from HF. Make sure you get at least a 20 gal compressor to use with the gun. Imo you don't want to get anything less then that.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, but why? They use quality paint... of course it will not be as good as a $8k or $10k or #20k paint job but I would expect that.
Price is
What Tony said, in most cases your gun pressure will be in the 12-18psi range. if you have the room and 220v access I’d go with a 60gal with a HF big dryer and the mini regulator/dryer/desiccant dryer. I started with a set of H guns, they’ll lay down some nice work once you get them dialed in. I still use my HF guns mostly for primer/sealer I eventually worked up to a devilbiss tekna prolite which is mainly used for base/clear.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the full thread but I'd say $8-10k. You may get quotes to do it cheaper but you get what you pay for. Since the paint is aged and delaminating more easily, it would need to be stripped to at least the primer for proper adhesion.

Have you considered a full wrap?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the full thread but I'd say $8-10k. You may get quotes to do it cheaper but you get what you pay for. Since the paint is aged and delaminating more easily, it would need to be stripped to at least the primer for proper adhesion.

Have you considered a full wrap?
Thanks, Tyler. Yes, I would be open to that and have even been playing around with some designs. Any idea what that might run?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts