What's my recourse regarding some from-the-factory paint issues on my month-old truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the pics of the ding, rough jamb paint (comes up looking like it’s chipped, but isn’t really), and the chipped-off area.
If the dealer is not cooperating, contact the "area representative " for the manufacturer. He is the one who decides, in many cases. The dealer submits the complaints to the guy.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a vehicle several years back I owned for 6 months, then noticed an obvious defect in the bumper that was painted over w/ the factory paint. Showed it to my service manager, they repainted the bumper after fixing the defect all under warranty. Show these to the dealer.

I believe it is totally possible to get a quality paint job not in the factory…else body shops would be out of business. Just choose a competent one (if warranty, will be the Dealer’s job.) I would take these to the dealer ASAP…they could possibly argue road debris, but they definitely look like defects to me.

Your dealer should be motivated to make you happy.

jd08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought our black Tahoe this summer and it had some paint issues. The dealer fixed ours with no issues.

We bought it before they could do the PDI. We went back to pick it up a few days later after they did the PDI and ceramic paint coating. The detailer notice flaws in the clear coat in a few places when he was polishing it and also a defective side window. The sales person showed them to us before doing paperwork and said they will fix it. We did a walk around and found another paint issue and a interior trim issue. Dealer noted everything. Took deliver and dropped off a few weeks later. They fixed it all perfectly and said if we noticed anything else let them know. About 2 months later we took it back to get a full detail and the ceramic coated finished. Great dealership but sucks they are 90 minutes away.

Stonebx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking over my truck in some different lighting yesterday, I noticed some paint problems on my new truck. Specifically, at the leading edge of the driver's door, there is some paint downright missing from a crease/point in the shoulder line, and a few inches down the paint on the leading edge isn't smooth (looks like some clamped pliers on it when it was wet). Also, there's a tiny ding in the fender just ahead of the door jamb. These items are all within a 6" area of one another.

The truck is black, and so I'd imagine that any kind of repairs/touch-up can be done to match and look great. I'm just wondering if I even want to ask the dealer about fixing these issues, or what. To be clear, these are small defects, and I'm not interested in making a stink or anything like that. By the same token, the truck is brand new, and I'd like it to at least start out perfect.

I'm just wondering a) if the dealer will gladly fix the paint (if it's seen as a warranty item or something), or b) if the dealer will wash their hands of it -- and I should really be going to a different body shop for any corrections if I decide to go pursue fixing these things. (BTW, I like this dealership and the guys there who helped me through this purchase. I feel like I can have a candid conversation with them about the issues, but I'm just wondering what others' thoughts are on the matter.)

Thanks!
I'd take it right back to the dealer!! Paint defects from the manufacturer is a very common issue and if you have decent relationship with them I don't see them making a issue over it. I purchased a 2023 Escalade-V and had 2 areas where the clear coat had runs. Very noticeable. Called the dealer the next day and they told me to bring it in on a Thursday because they have a 3rd party contractor that handles those type of issues. They gave me a loaner and called me the next day it was ready. If they make an issue than I'd reach out to GM. That's covered under warranty so they would look stupid rejecting a legitimate issue like that. The other solution is if you did it your self out of pocket but then God forbid the body shop makes an error, than the dealer will refuse it 100%. Let the dealer handle it. IMO that would be the safest option!

jeffluan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The dealer will take care of the problem under warranty. Going somewhere will add to a greater problem down the road. My hood was messed up and the dealer took care of it. You have the dealer behind you if they fix it.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is very helpful info, folks. As I think I said, I like this dealership (they're new to me, but everyone has been a pleasure to deal with), they're not too far away, and I don't foresee them giving me a hard time about this stuff. I just had no idea what my expectations should be -- but you've given me some great insight. Thanks!

CriticalThinker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had some paint issues with the tailgate on my ‘21 Hoe. Dealer covered it under warranty, even jumped the line at the dealership’s body shop. Had it fixed and driving again in about 2 days.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to try to get to the dealership today and discuss it with them. Will keep you posted.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it to the dealership today, and everyone was glad to help. Absolutely no pushback whatsoever on correcting the paint/bringing in their dent guy to make everything right.

Thanks again for your responses, folks!

JKeller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I personally would want those cleaned up. Looks like a spot for rust to start to me. Hopefully the dealer plays ball, but if not, I would imagine you could find a good body shop to do it for a fair price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660