Budgeting for a paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s nuts there’s probably less than 6-700$ in materials to paint a full size suv. I just picked up a pint of ppg for like 40$ish , base is 1:1 color to reducer in most cases
No way. I just had a friend spray a hood- it was $300-400 in materials at his cost ( body shop). For the hood.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All about the overhead. PPG is good paint.

Not to sound rude but obviously the cost of materials is not the only factor in how much it would cost to repaint a vehicle of this size….. and also not to sound rude but I highly doubt a pint of paint would repaint a vehicle of this size, at least not to the standards that this body shop does work to.
Nope that because I bought enough to do 2 fenders and a bumper cover. A gal would probably do it though, 2 gals sprayible should cover a full size SUV a few times

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way. I just had a friend spray a hood- it was $300-400 in materials at his cost ( body shop). For the hood.
This definitely sounds more accurate. I think when I brought a hood to the old guy that owned the shop that did paint for me, it was somewhere around $500 for him to spray the hood. So $300-400 in materials would line up with that I’d guess. Unfortunately that was either in 2017 or 2018, can’t remember which, and said painted hood has HUGE strips of bad clearcoat growing all over it. I’m so annoyed. Anyways…. lol

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe that’s with the cost of the hood, I never bought more than a pint at a time. Last time I checked it was a little over 200 a gal for WA8555 onyx black. Clear is expensive because it requires a cocktail of reducers and activator

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe that’s with the cost of the hood, I never bought more than a pint at a time. Last time I checked it was a little over 200 a gal for WA8555 onyx black. Clear is expensive because it requires a cocktail of reducers and activator
Wasn’t for me. I bought the hood first, and brought it to him to paint and it still ran me $500 for his supplies and his labor.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
In regards to “scuff n spray” … There was never any mention this technique doesn’t ever work. It was stated that in the case of GM’s clear coat failure scenario, scuff n spray left the hood looking like a bad peeling sunburn using PPG products.

Every situation is not the same. Internet diagnosis is mostly speculation unless all the facts are presented. In my trucks scenario, scuff n spray was a failure. All the original and new product had to be removed. Is this the case for all peeling clear coat? Don’t know.

There was never a dog put in a fight proposing auto paint doctrine. Info was shared from beginning to end and hope someone gains experience and saves capital from avoiding my body shops missteps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo