pain Denali stock grill ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how a black grille would look on your color truck. I wanted to do this same thing with the blacked out grille and shell and put the silver emblem.

OP
OP
hassoun

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i still have to paint the chrome grill frame the same color as my truck later on. i get the GMC chrome emblem in the mail friday. what do you guys think ?

Attachments

• IMG00101-20100420-1615.jpg
    IMG00101-20100420-1615.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 23

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
the key to painting anything chrome is SELF-ETCHING PRIMER

its a special type of primer that adheres better to the metal, then shoot normal primer over that and go to town with whatever color you want

shouldn't chip or scratch as long as you shoot a clear over everything when you are done :)

OP
OP
hassoun

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. but u think it has to be done a professional paint shop because it needs to match the truck's color which i dont think i can myself ?

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

or maybe i can just leave the frame chrome to match my mirror covers and door handles along with the new GMC emblem

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
well you have just found out the fun in having these trucks.. it never stays the same and there are endless possibilities, its your canvas do what you want and make it the way it looks good to you

you can buy body color paint at any paint store, just give them the color code and they can mix it up for you and put it in a rattle can

but of course a rattle can job is a rattle can job, you can't expect perfection

OP
OP
hassoun

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh i didnt know that was possible. thanks again lol. that is true. i've done a lot of mods. soon i'll post pics of my truck and the mods i've done.

Brick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would leave it chrome at least for now and see how u like it with the emblem on :imo:. You can get the color match paint from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ in a rattle can or for paint gun, just ordered mine to paint match the grill emblem. Will let u know how it works out. Oh and u can find ur paint code in the glove compartment, starts with BC/CC or a u like this:

GMC-1.jpg

Hope that helps!

Jesus Lopez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yea...look at Max...lots of people paint their Denali Grills black

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

picture.php
Greetings all. Great-looking Denali. I am looking for the brand and wheel size for the truck above. It caught my attention and would like mine to look similar. THNX

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painting the grille is quite the process from what I understand. The chrome on our truck’s grille piece is like a plastic chrome etched over the metal. So it’s very hard to get the primer to stick to it. So like they said above if you’re attempting yourself, make sure you have self etching primer. I don’t trust my personal painting skills to do my grille. So I had my body shop do it. But convincing him to do it took a lot and it was pricey. However the final product was well worth the expense. I had the surround piece matched to my silver birch metallic, left the center honeycomb part chrome and then I bought the aluminum gmc logo and I painted it myself.
Quick photo for a visual:

77309C86-D6E0-4655-9496-793A1479CBDB.jpeg
And I used paint matched to my paint code from automotive touch up.com as mentioned above^ to do my front gmc logo.