P0128 Engine Running too cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the coolant sensor has gone bad, would it not read at all? Or just read incorrectly? If it's a cheap and quick thing to do I'd rather do that before pulling the thermostat and flushing my radiator. Looks like the sensor is about 15 dollars on amazon. This morning my heat seemed warm but not sure if that was just in my head since it was 40 degrees out.
the sensor would not make it run cold it would only give a false reading if it was faulty, running cold is either the thermostat is stuck open or the fan is doing major overtime.

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant that if the sensor was faulty would it cause my Engine Temp Gauge to read too low or just never go up at all? As of now it sits below 185 when reading the gauge in my dash, but during the last week when the weather was warmer I didn't really have an issue. Only seems to happen on cold days which is why I'm leaning towards it being the thermostat stuck open.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your gauge should always read the same temp unless its really hot out and your idling or your towing or driving it pretty hard it may go up a little then, but it shouldn't be cooler unless the engine was just started and it hasn't got up to normal temp yet, but again the sensor would only give a bad reading it wouldn't actually make the motor run cold it's just a sensor its doesn't do anything other than give you information.

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, on my way to work there was a decent amount of traffic before the highway, the truck warmed up to about 185 before I got on the highway according to the gauge. However, in the morning I got onto the highway without much traffic and the truck never reached the normal operating temperature. Just curious, the normal operating temp is 185 correct?

your gauge should always read the same temp unless its really hot out and your idling or your towing or driving it pretty hard it may go up a little then, but it shouldn't be cooler unless the engine was just started and it hasn't got up to normal temp yet, but again the sensor would only give a bad reading it wouldn't actually make the motor run cold it's just a sensor its doesn't do anything other than give you information.

But if the sensor is faulty it could cause the engine to believe it is running too cold is that what you are saying? Does seem like the engine is actually running too cold sometimes since when the coolant temp on the dash is below 185, the heat is not as hot, however, when it is up to normal operating temperature the heat blows hot.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, on my way to work there was a decent amount of traffic before the highway, the truck warmed up to about 185 before I got on the highway according to the gauge. However, in the morning I got onto the highway without much traffic and the truck never reached the normal operating temperature. Just curious, the normal operating temp is 185 correct?

But if the sensor is faulty it could cause the engine to believe it is running too cold is that what you are saying? Does seem like the engine is actually running too cold sometimes since when the coolant temp on the dash is below 185, the heat is not as hot, however, when it is up to normal operating temperature the heat blows hot.
Well that's why I suggested feeling the heater, unless you want to try and trouble shoot the sensor that's the second best way to tell, if the temp says low and the heater is not as hot then it's likely the thermostat

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's why I suggested feeling the heater, unless you want to try and trouble shoot the sensor that's the second best way to tell, if the temp says low and the heater is not as hot then it's likely the thermostat
Heater definitely feels warm when the truck is actually warmed up, my new thermostat and housing comes in Wednesday (thank you amazon prime) How involved is the coolant sensor change? I may as well just change it out for a new one if I am already going to drain and flush the radiator anyway.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would know if the ect sensor was bad. The signal to the pcm would read -40 and the truck would be extremely hard to start if at all considering how rich the fuel trim would go.

Engine running too cold... stuck open thermostat.

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should be in location #6 or in the same vicinity

View attachment 186624
Got it, so looking at the other picture you sent it's on the passenger side under the plugs. Shouldn't be too hard to replace if I have to do it.

You would know if the ect sensor was bad. The signal to the pcm would read -40 and the truck would be extremely hard to start if at all considering how rich the fuel trim would go.

Engine running too cold... stuck open thermostat.

Well it starts up just fine, so I guess it's the thermostat, new one comes in today, hopefully I have a chance to do it sometime this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadi awais