Engine runs cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Breadman03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Holy crap....what a mess.
Yeah. The .45 is working well and the front heater core is working great, but the rear is useless. We have to order some house and fittings so that we can open it up and flush it directly instead of trying to flush it from the front because the rear connectors are being stubborn and I’m certain we’re going to have some breakage getting it apart.

OP
OP
H

hmclaughlin67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You'll want to thoroughly check the fan relays to make sure they're operating correctly. If I'm not mistaken, the fans should (may?) come on automatically if the A/C is turned on. Also, pull the two connectors to the PCM and look for water migration and pin fitment.

Having said that, the slow warmup is an issue. The stock radiator has a restrictor in the fitting for the small hose that runs from the right (passenger) side of the radiator to the surge tank. If the radiator's been replaced at some point and it no longer has that restrictor, the engine might never warm up, or could take a long time. Too much flow into the surge tank causes that problem. You can test the theory by pinching off -- mostly but not completely -- the hose to the surge tank to see if you get a quicker warmup.

There are several threads on here about the restrictor, and I'll post a short one below. If you're interested in others, search or yell and we'll see about finding a couple more.

The restrictor ended up being the issue. Few days of driving now and temp has been good. My dad discovered that a .45 Colt's primer hole is just about the same size as the factory restrictor. Just wanted to post this just in case anyone else in the future has the same problem

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wanted to restore a car, but thought I’d start with something like a classic Beetle and have a garage bay to do it in, not something with miles of wiring and on the curb
honestly these GMT800s are one of the easiest to work on yet least appreciated project cars. In 5 years my 03 Yukon will qualify for an antique license plate and I don’t see any reason why it won’t still be running strong by then!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz