Onstar whole system delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

persistent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Funny, I replaced the cabin air filter last week while leaning on the seat, I could only see straight ahead and never bothered to look up. Not sure what trim you have, but I have a Premier and hoping it's in the same location as I haven't done this yet due to fear of breaking plastic bits while in-search-of lol.

I plan on attempting this procedure, the reverse camera dimmer mod, and spark plug replacement either today or tomorrow and will report back. Also very interested in the wifi removal you mention and/or anything else that reduces the ability to be tracked/controlled.
i have the premier trim on my tahoe, so you are very likely to find it in the same place.

koachdaddy

Reaction score
Ok, it was in the same location but I couldn't get the box out without removing the mounting frame which required additional dash parts removal. It was like wedged too tight for me to get it out.

Anyway, circuit card has been removed but unlike my Colorado, there were two connections on this card; on burgundy and the other brown. I know the burgundy is for Onstart. Is the brown for XM radio?

Currently shows CAL top center dash, GPS on NAV page has a red X thru it, but the Navigation is still operating by showing my movements on the map page. Is this due to my iPhone being connected and borrowed?

Attachments

• IMG_6346.jpg
    IMG_6346.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6347.jpg
    IMG_6347.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6349.jpg
    IMG_6349.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6345.jpg
    IMG_6345.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6350.jpg
    IMG_6350.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 5

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a good video on YouTube about this, but I believe it was for up to 2014(?). There was a part about the module case it sits in, and the SIM card. If you remove the SIM card, the phone to onstar won't work for tracking via the cellular network. Then reassemble and hook everything back up. XM still works, Onstar no Bueno.

I plan on doing this to my 08 and 17 soon. Thanks for the info this far!

koachdaddy

Reaction score
B-train, the circuit card is removed and everything is reassembled and working fine.

Just went back and reread the entire thread. Looks like the brown connection could be cellular instead of XM. Either way, my NAV is still tracking movements so onto the next level of detachment...

koachdaddy

Reaction score
Update; I turned off my iPhone, then attempted to use Onstar, and finally tried to see what was available to include phone contacts. Nothing was working so I turned my phone back on and shortly thereafter I noticed that the 'speed' indication in my HUD was no longer there. Switched back to GM navigation and found myself over water lol...so I guess it has finally taken and no longer usable.

Attachments

• over water.jpg
    over water.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 4

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t really understand why you’re so worried about disabling Onstar when you want to use the GPS navigation (which tracks you) and have an iPhone (which tracks you).

koachdaddy

Reaction score
Found the 'how-to' instructions for my 2015-2020 application on this thread and was simply sharing post removal experiences. I posted the same info on the 2015-2020 group as well, for enlightenment, and was met with the same responses that have been beat-to-death.

Chose a 2yr GM vehicle for various reasons. To do it again I'd purchase a Toyota, but that's a whole other discussion.

I understand that I posted the tracking aspect as an example, but this was simply because it hadn't completely shut off, from what I could see anyway. There are various reasons for the removal decision. People can do their own research and decide whether or not Onstar, and EVERTHING (not just tracking) that comes with, it is for them.

If you haven't read the fine print yet...it's definitely worth your time to make a better-informed decision, while you can, vs letting those dictate it for you. At the end of the day, it's all about choice- right?

For me and my choice; don't want/need Onstar and didn't sign-up for any of GM's 'safety' services...simple as that.

persistent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For me and my choice; don't want/need Onstar and didn't sign-up for any of GM's 'safety' services...simple as that.

this is a very common pattern: telling people that feature X is for their "safety", when in reality it is done to surveil and control them.

other related examples: Find My feature on the iphone sends continuous gps coordinate data to apple, intel "anti theft" allows large organizations to control machines on remote, intel management engine allows for "people" to control machines on remote, search engines and social media routinely blacklist content for "safety", etc.

whether most people realize it or not, onstar - and every other default-enabled car monitoring system - is there to mine their location data and sell that data to interested 3rd parties. unless you fully disable the cellular transceiver used by such systems, you cannot even use your own vehicle without it being tracked, even if you leave your phone/devices at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadawson74