Upgrading My OnStar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
Hold my beer, I'm gonna try something...

I have an *early* 2015 Yukon SLT that was actually produced in 2014. It has is an outdated OnStar unit. I really don't care about CarPlay, but I do want the vehicle connection with OnStar.

I searched on this forum and the internet at large and can't find someone who has done this upgrade.

Reading about this it seems that the radio unit, behind the center console, also includes the OnStar radio. The older style units, like mine, have one antenna connection out, while the newer 3G/4G units have two.

I purchased a radio unit from a 2016 Sierra with the upgraded connections, and I do have the VIN number of the vehicle it is from. I will apparently need an updated roof fin antenna and the cable to run between them.

I did learn that I will have to give OnStar the VIN number from the 2016, otherwise it will automatically block my service.

I use XM, so I will have to update my VIN with them as well. Maybe I should do an updated HMI at the same time?

Anybody on here tried this upgrade? Is there a reference anyone can recommend for me to check with before embarking on this? TIA

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 2016 LS updated by OnStar no charge.It was offered by OnStar no charge if i took a 2 year subs.It was done in 2016.

OP
OP
RoadTrip

RoadTrip

Reaction score
If you remember which components they replaced, that would be a good reference point for me.

I’ll have do do more research on the cable needed, unless I can score a bone yard one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019