Old Guy with Trouble Getting into New 2017 Tahoe Premier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guardian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a very nice 2017 Tahoe Premier with all the new tech that my older 2012 Tahoe LTZ didn't have. I'm really enjoying this new ride although I'm having a little problem that some of you youngsters haven't been up against.

With a stiff back and arthritis, I can't easily climb into this new one since it seems to sit up higher than the 2012 Tahoe. Would lowering the 2017 Tahoe make much difference.

I know absolutely nothing about lowering a vehicle, so I'd have it done by a pro shop. I also buy Tahoe's so I can sit above the traffic. I don't want to loose that feeling either.

Any and all opinions on this idea and maybe how much it might cost would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TxChevyz71

Reaction score
I don't have any experience lowering the vehicle, I am sure others will chime in on that.

In your tahoe, did you set your seat to lower when you enter and exit the vehicle? Would that help?

Do you have running boards? if so are they the fixed? or the retactable?

Also is the step to the running boards the issue or from the running boards to inside of the tahoe?

OP
OP
Guardian

Guardian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't have any experience lowering the vehicle, I am sure others will chime in on that.

In your tahoe, did you set your seat to lower when you enter and exit the vehicle? Would that help?

Do you have running boards? if so are they the fixed? or the retactable?

Also is the step to the running boards the issue or from the running boards to inside of the tahoe?

Thanks for the quick reply. More information.

I have fixed running boards and getting out of the vehicle isn't a problem.

I'll see if I can explain this. My back won't let me bend, so I have to lift my right leg and place my foot in the floorboard of the truck under the steering wheel. Then I grab the steering wheel and proceed to pull the rest of my body up and over and into the seat. That puts a lot of strain on my right hip.

If I try to step on the running board, I'm up too high and can't bend my back enough to lower my butt into the seat. Yeah, I know this all sounds ridiculous, but it is what it is. I can't even think of getting into a regular sedan since they are too low for me to bend down into.

I wonder if the fixed running boards can be adjusted down some. I don't know if that would help or not.

Either way, I'm driving my new Tahoe...I'm stubborn like that! :)

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe you could put airbag suspension in it and lower it to you liking and raise it up when driving. I know that sounds real stupid but it might help your situation. just my 2 cents

TxChevyz71

Reaction score
Guardian

I see you are in San Antonio. There is a guy in the Bandera area that does custom work like that. He did a lift type of deal for the seat for someone I saw in the Austin area. The seat turned and swung out and the guy could sit down and ride it back into the vehicle. (this was on a chevy conversion van) but could possibly be done for a tahoe. (not sure) I saw it and thought it was pretty neat. I was waiting on my wife while she was shopping and pulled over and talked to the guy, I thought it would be good for my parents. (I remember him telling me the name of the company and it being in Bandera but it's been some time ago)

This is just a thought. sorry I dont have any other info.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the retractable running boards are set lower to the ground when deployed compared to the fixed ones. That might help you. Go back to the dealer and see if they have a truck in stock with them so you can hop in and out and see if that'll work.

OP
OP
Guardian

Guardian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Swathdriver - That might be an idea, although having to retro-fit my new Tahoe with retractable boards might be more expensive that a lowering kit? I might try what you suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Guardian

Guardian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
TxChevyz71 - that sounds like it might cost a pretty penny. I'd consider doing something like that if both my hips give out, hopefully, not until the far future!

Thanks.

DIXZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am 70 and understand what you are going through! I always felt awkward getting in and out. My problem was that my wife who had a stroke a few years ago had a real problem getting in.

I am fortunate enough to be able to work on my own cars and bought a kit from Trailblazer SS on the Suspension forum and was able to install i myself. I dropped the front 2.5" and the rear 4.5". The difference was like night and day. I get in and out without using the boards, and the wife has a much easier time.

And one added benefit is that the rear liftgate is low enough for the dogs to jump in unassisted.

OP
OP
Guardian

Guardian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am 70 and understand what you are going through! I always felt awkward getting in and out. My problem was that my wife who had a stroke a few years ago had a real problem getting in.

I am fortunate enough to be able to work on my own cars and bought a kit from Trailblazer SS on the Suspension forum and was able to install i myself. I dropped the front 2.5" and the rear 4.5". The difference was like night and day. I get in and out without using the boards, and the wife has a much easier time.

And one added benefit is that the rear liftgate is low enough for the dogs to jump in unassisted.

Hey, thanks for the input. I'm 67 and my wife is 72. She hops in and out of the Tahoe like it's a sports car, no problem at all. In the garage, She gets around to the passenger side and seated while I'm still trying to pull myself up! Dang woman!

I'm an Accountant by trade and definitely NOT mechanically inclined, so I'll have find someone to do the work if I decide to do this.

Thanks for the input.