Odd noise from front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2014 Yukon xl denial 2wd just past 85k miles. I have noticed a sound coming from front of truck. It cause some vibration inside. It sounds like a rubbing tire or that I have mud tread tires. I have been under and can not find anything rubbing. I did replace all 4 tires thinking at first it was the tires. I am at a loss on this noise. Has anyone come across this issue?

I tired search before but the results didn’t match the sound I hear.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2014 Yukon xl denial 2wd just past 85k miles. I have noticed a sound coming from front of truck. It cause some vibration inside. It sounds like a rubbing tire or that I have mud tread tires. I have been under and can not find anything rubbing. I did replace all 4 tires thinking at first it was the tires. I am at a loss on this noise. Has anyone come across this issue?

I am assuming the sound is constant and changes with vehicle speed. My first guess is you have a wheel bearing going out. A quick test is to see if the sound changes when you turn vs going straight. If the sound gets worse when you turn one direction or the other, that is a good indication of a bad wheel bearing. If it is worse when you turn left, the right wheel bearing is likely the cause. Conversely, if it gets worse turning right, it is likely the left one.

If you can jack up the front of the vehicle so the front tires are off the ground and you grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and try and wiggle it, it should be solid. If you get any noticeable play, it indicates a bad wheel bearing as well.

OP
OP
T

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I did forget that detail. When I turn left, it stops till I’m back out of the turn. Straight and right turn has noise and vibration.

Thank you for this info. I haven’t had a truck that had a bad wheel bearing so experienced this, yet. I will jack up and check for sure.

What is the test where you kick the tire from front or rear and look for movement. Is that the tie rod test(off jacks)?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did forget that detail. When I turn left, it stops till I’m back out of the turn. Straight and right turn has noise and vibration.

Thank you for this info. I haven’t had a truck that had a bad wheel bearing so experienced this, yet. I will jack up and check for sure.

What is the test where you kick the tire from front or rear and look for movement. Is that the tie rod test(off jacks)?

Sounds like your drivers side wheel bearing is the prime suspect based on turning right and straight makes noise and turning left (taking load off of driver's side wheel bearing) makes the noise go away.

OP
OP
T

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, would it be fine to only replace one side at at time? I was thinking I needed to do both at same time.

Also, for anyone that has done it. What brand would be the best choice. OEM/Ac Delco, Moog, or Detroit Locker?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, would it be fine to only replace one side at at time? I was thinking I needed to do both at same time.

Also, for anyone that has done it. What brand would be the best choice. OEM/Ac Delco, Moog, or Detroit Locker?
if you can afford it then it's best to do both sides at the same time because of good o'l murphys law.
Timken is usually preferred but I have had good luck with the moog as well, or even oem from rock auto usually they are very decently priced.

OP
OP
T

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, so I jacked the front up and checked the driver side wheel first. No play at all. Checked the passenger side, has some play- not much. And I can hear the sound by just free hand spinning it fast. So, I’m replacing both for good measure. I feel like it’s best just to do both sides anyway. I don’t think I would replace just one side of any other part.

I appreciate everyone that commented.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Best to do both and get it over with. If one goes out the other may be close behind. The bearing can still be tight and make noise. Make sure when you replace you keep the brake pads and rotor surface clean and lube contact points of the pads.

Koop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Sounds familiar so here is my tale:

2007 yukon denali xl

Sound was coming from driver side and definitely "Felt" like a vibration emitting from the area. Check wheels hubs... no play, hell both sides were new; check all areas of control arms, again new. Sway bar links and bushings... could use replacing but didnt show enough wear to create the rattle. End point.........strut. The moment I swapped out both (went aftermarket this go round with arnott) i havent heard the sound since. Funny thing was I was used to seeing 'signs' of time to change but I didnt see any...weird. Again I did the checklist mode just to eliminate piece by piece:

hubs/bearings
control arms
ball joints
sway bar end links
sway bar bushings
struts/shocks

Nyc2011Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, so I jacked the front up and checked the driver side wheel first. No play at all. Checked the passenger side, has some play- not much. And I can hear the sound by just free hand spinning it fast. So, I’m replacing both for good measure. I feel like it’s best just to do both sides anyway. I don’t think I would replace just one side of any other part.

I appreciate everyone that commented.
I was having similar issues on 2011 yukon denali so I change both front hubs since I put these huge 34 inch wheels on the truck. Looks good. What you guys think

Attachments

• 20240429_133222.jpg
    20240429_133222.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240429_133134.jpg
    20240429_133134.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240429_120544.jpg
    20240429_120544.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240429_120607.jpg
    20240429_120607.jpg