2009 Yukon 2WD; New metal-on-metal sound from front end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got up this morning to go to McDonalds and its nice outside so I had the windows open. I get down the road and coming to stop and I hear a weird noise and wonder, is this coming from my car? I get to Mcdonalds and yes its definitely me. So I drive slow and i hear it. Like metal on metal grinding and pinging. Sounds like from driver front wheel. Now I just had this in the air a couple days ago looking at the brakes (everything checked out fine) because I have a 1500 mile trip coming up next Sunday. Now this and I must get it fixed before then.

I head home from McDonalds and the sound is present. Then about half way home, sound stops. I live in a culdesac so I went down to the circle and did circles and the sound came back. Pulled in the driveway and pulled up to the garage, sound present the whole time. Then just as Im pulling in the garage... sound stops. I drove around for almost an hour and it has not returned. I did get video of it attached below. Im hoping this is something as easy as the driver side wheel bearing.

So yes it stopped but I lifted it and spun the wheel, feels fine. Looked around the back of wheel for anything that might be hitting on the dust cover, nothing I can see. Sound is only made when moving. Can anyone confirm what this is? (Im so sick and tired of intermittent problems :mad:)

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s your starter. The drive gear return spring has failed allowing the drive gear to bounce against the flywheel. Yes, I’m 100% sure this is what it is. It’s textbook for one of these.

Easy replacement. Remove negative battery terminal, remove right front wheel, remove fender liner, disconnect the cables from the starter, remove the 2 starter bolts from under the vehicle, wiggle the starter out. Install new one, and everything else is the reverse of removal. Removing the heat shield over the manifold makes it easier to wiggle the starter out from the side.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have the records, The prev owner got a new starter on 8-3-21 and 149,577. Its now 179k.

He probably got a cheap one from the shop that did it. Well I guess if youre 150% sure, I will order one.
Prolly a low budget rebuilt unit. Rockauto has new GM starters inexpensively priced.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prolly a low budget rebuilt unit. Rockauto has new GM starters inexpensively priced.
Yeah I'm looking at that now. $150 for a new ACDelco, 191 after core for a reman ACDelco?!? wtf?

It couldn't just be loose, could it? Ya know a couple weeks back I replace the positive batter cable, which went to the starter but I didnt touch any other bolts than positive power. It wasn't loose then.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait... Then why did it stop when I stopped the car? The flywheel is always turning. (I did order from RA for wednesday delivery)

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It couldn't just be loose, could it? Ya know a couple weeks back I replace the positive batter cable, which went to the starter but I didnt touch any other bolts than positive power. It wasn't loose then.
Nope. It’s the return spring. Replace the starter and quit stalling. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019