normal operating temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denali99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got my 99 denali less than a week ago and when i first got it the temp was between 100 and the quarter mark, so i figured the t-stat was stuck open. I replaced the t-stat with a 195 deg one, but now the will creep up to just under 210 then come right down to the quarter mark and stays there all the time. I also replaced the rad cap at the same time. is this normal in colder weather?(about 45F deg during the day) or do i have another problem?

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
I have a 195 in mine and it stays right below 210 degrees when the engine is warm and it won't move.

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check coolant level mine did the same but the coolant was a little low , i had a 195

OP
OP
D

denali99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
coolant was a little low, I filled it but still same thing. temp is a lil over the 1/4 mark.

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya my Yukon when i got it would go up to right in between 160 and 210 and stay right there.
then my intake manifold gasket blew...
got that fixed.
now my temp ever so SLOWLY goes up to like 215 and then drops down to about 160 in a matter of 7 seconds. from that point on it'll bounce between 160 and about 180.

i don't understand what's going on now, but just the fact that it goes up to 210 and a little past just freaks me out.
i mean does the water pump like kick into high gear or something once it reaches that temp or something?

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya my temp was creeping up to a tick over 210 then would drop down to the 195 area so i figured the t-stat was going bad so i replaced it. well less than a week later it went back up to a tick over 210. is this normal for these engines to run hot?

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well like i said for mine, it warms up to 215 then drops to 150 in about 30 seconds. it's so weird. and thermostats don't exactly come bulk in bad batches, would they? cuz the 'stat is a month old :)

i'd say that ~180, give or take a little is a good norm. i'm saying this because i was driving my friend's Cobalt yesterday, and with the digital info center it'll tell you the exact temp, and the norm for that 4-banger was settling on about 180.
i'd give a comparison to my old car, but the temp gauge didn't have numbers - just C for cold and H for hot - too ******** simplistic.
and the old Jimmy with a 305 ran at 180...

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine operates a line above that the big solid bar between 210 and 100 i think thats 155?

ChrisInWI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I could be wrong (my wife says that I usually am), but isn't there a coolant temp sensor that provides the info that the gauge reads out? Could those sensors or the gauge dial on the dash be tempermental with age more likely than everyone's new 'stats not doing that they're supposed to be? Just a thought. And for they guy wondering about a high gear on the water pump, no they just run off the serpentine belt and follow the rpms of the engine up and down (but faster I believe as the WP pulley is smaller than the crank pulley i.e. ratio).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
murk3d