New Truck in Town vs GM Units

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
15YUKON

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing stopping me from going out and buying a huge diesel semi so yea I can buy what I want.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing stopping me from going out and buying a huge diesel semi so yea I can buy what I want.

So much for all of those outrageous regulations these other guys are crying about!! AMIRITE?!?!

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cardude has a tongue like one of them swamp politicians. Maybe he's really President Obama? There's nothing positive about the government making laws because an automaker chose to offer something standard other than to ensure their profitability at our expense. Such a thought is nonsensical.

A friend of mine had to retire a little early some years ago because the government was outlawing his rig for commercial use. He was a truck driver and had already been forced to buy a generator and hang it on the side and then couldn't drive here or there because of his old Detroit motor.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cardude has a tongue like one of them swamp politicians. Maybe he's really President Obama? There's nothing positive about the government making laws because an automaker chose to offer something standard other than to ensure their profitability at our expense. Such a thought is nonsensical.

A friend of mine had to retire a little early some years ago because the government was outlawing his rig for commercial use. He was a truck driver and had already been forced to buy a generator and hang it on the side and then couldn't drive here or there because of his old Detroit motor.

I never said it was a positive thing for the govt to regulate anything (you still didn’t answer about building codes, highway building codes/regulations btw)

What I said is that, in general, what they regulate (via legislation) is almost always already in place by consumer choice (as in airbags and non smoking airplanes). So at worst they are impotent.

Your chronic fact based allergies are yours to manage. Please don’t lash out at me when I bring an allergen to the discussion.

(And it’s ‘one of those’)

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I'll talk building codes. I'm in union central here in good ol Chicago where for 100 years codes have been instituted not to protect consumers, but to ensure the unions' profitability. Now I won't go crazy, as I do believe some standard has to be maintained, and municipalities can govern this how they choose. However, I can't count the number of times a customer building a custom house says, "but I don't want that..." and I have to say "it's the code, it doesn't matter what you want or don't want in YOUR home." makes me sick. Non union for me, BTW, thanks.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talk building codes. I'm in union central here in good ol Chicago where for 100 years costs have been instituted not to protect consumers, but to ensure the unions' profitability. Now I won't go crazy, as I do believe some standard has to be maintained, and municipalities can given this how they choose. However, I can't count the number of times a customer building a custom house says, "but I don't want that..." and I have to say "it's the code, it doesn't matter what you want or don't want in YOUR home." makes me sick. Non union for me, BTW, thanks.

Good input. As a consumer I’m incredibly glad there are building codes. Since I don’t have X-ray vision (or wouldn’t have any idea what to look for if I did) it’s a huge benefit to me.

Now, there’s a case to be made that home builders should be able to decide if they want to have a home they built certified as ‘up to code’ or not and allow them to sell on the market regardless. (Homeowners insurance rates for non code homes would skyrocket and municipalities would likely create a tax surcharge for the Fire dept in non code homes)

But again, I think consumers would overwhelmingly force the marketplace to only have homes built to a set of agreed upon codes.

Meaning once again, the consumers would drive demand and ultimately legislation. Not the other way around.

DeucesAllin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
...Meaning once again, the consumers would drive demand and ultimately legislation. Not the other way around.

Consumers drive legislation in a true free market capatilaist economy.

This is crony capitalisim: where you can get the goverment to FORCE citizens to pay for things they dont want.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, it is your responsibility to inspect your purchase, don't force the rest of us to do what you're unwilling to do. If some guy wants to put his power outlets six inches off the ground in one room and near the ceiling in another that's his business. When he dies and his kids sell of his home to pay the death tax it is up to the prospective buyer to ensure the home is to his liking, he can hire someone to check it out for him.

Didn't our previous POTUS support California building regulations for homes built in Florida? His wizards of smart thought Florida homes would benefit by being built to withstand earthquakes. Insanity.

At the same time, private organizations, like the SAE or UL and am sure there's a few for homes would have standards for building homes in varying places across the country. Not government. People would appreciate and pay for that. A guy in California doesn't need a hurricane proof house and neither does a Floridian need a roof designed to shed snow.

The same thinking applies to roads, which would be better if they were privatized. Whatever government does, private industry can do better, save for lie, cheat and steal. Then they'd go out of business.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, it is your responsibility to inspect your purchase, don't force the rest of us to do what you're unwilling to do. If some guy wants to put his power outlets six inches off the ground in one room and near the ceiling in another that's his business. When he dies and his kids sell of his home to pay the death tax it is up to the prospective buyer to ensure the home is to his liking, he can hire someone to check it out for him.

Didn't our previous POTUS support California building regulations for homes built in Florida? His wizards of smart thought Florida homes would benefit by being built to withstand earthquakes. Insanity.

At the same time, private organizations, like the SAE or UL and am sure there's a few for homes would have standards for building homes in varying places across the country. Not government. People would appreciate and pay for that. A guy in California doesn't need a hurricane proof house and neither does a Floridian need a roof designed to shed snow.

The same thinking applies to roads, which would be better if they were privatized. Whatever government does, private industry can do better, save for lie, cheat and steal. Then they'd go out of business.

So you’re cool with codes. You just want them decided on by ‘for profit’ executives instead of people we vote in/out of Office.

That’s a fair answer and I️ can respect that view.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is crony capitalisim: where you can get the goverment to FORCE citizens to pay for things they dont want.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

What would be an example where the majority of consumers are buying something they don’t want because it’s been legislated?

Sent from my iPhone1s using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900