New GM ISS = more slop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently replaced my intermediate steering shaft with a new GM (19329330) part and this thing has way more slop in it than the beat up one it replaced. I read around on the forum and saw the ISS design was updated at one point in time but wasn’t sure if this was considered the new “normal” with these parts or if I managed to get a dud.
There is a small amount of slop in the splined / telescoping section but most of the movement is with the inner u joint (next to steering shaft bearing). I can grab the ISS in the engine bay and lift up and it clunks like crazy. I’ve even greased the splines before installing and was sure to give it the “massage parlor” treatment to lube up all of the splined area but this clunking / popping sound while turning is even more aggravating than before.

I’ve also read to stay away from the dorman part but I’m half tempted to try one out as a comparison.

Thanks for any feedback / suggestions on how to calm this thing down.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting....I wouldn't expect that from OEM. However, cost cutting usually wins out in corporate America. It would be worthwhile to know any difference you see if you choose to go that route

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
When I did mine I replace the “bearing” (plastic thing) also. The first one I got was junk and worse than the old one, it actually fell apart. Replaced again and it was good to go.

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I replaced the GM ISS with a Dorman one this morning. No more clunk. I’m sure I got a one-off dud of a u-joint from GM but I’m still not happy about it.

(Side note: I also replaced the steering bearing with a GM one when I replaced the steering shaft the first go around. Sorry, I should have noted that)

The splined section of the GM shaft was fine but the u-joint is where all my clunking was coming from. Here’s a quick video of me lifting on the “new” GM shaft prior to replacement with the Dorman part:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good on ya for the OEM bearing. Years ago, despite reviews warning not to, I tried it. Fell apart in a day or two. OEM it is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879