New Truck in Town vs GM Units

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even used they still command a lot of dollars. I was strongly considering a pickup but they were more money than the Yukons so the better value won out. Still want a pickup in the corral, might get one for one of the kids. The GMT800s are still a pretty penny.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but there are tons of other options these days. Even chevy has two other suvs that hold 7 and have as much cargo room as a Tahoe and are much less $$$. Perfect mom mobiles and mall crawlers.
For us, the Traverse and Tahoe are too small when we need a large amount of cargo capacity that is found in the Suburban or Expedition EL.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For us, the Traverse and Tahoe are too small when we need a large amount of cargo capacity that is found in the Suburban or Expedition EL.

Or a full size chevy van. But yeah. It’s a van lol.

Kirth Gersen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used to own quite a few vacuum cleaner sounding Buicks years ago. 231 cubic inches was great for a 3,500 pound car. Using even less displacement to move near twice the weight goes against the thinking of my formative years. ...
I have an 87 Grand National & love it. Turbos & high boost are fine for 15-30 seconds at a time.
But exhaust manifolds will literally glow red-hot under long duration, high load.

I have no confidence that a tiny turbo gas engine can move a 6000+ lb SUV up a 10 mile grade in 90ºF heat, and not cause a long term degradation of the engine & other underhood comoponents

The classic chevy small blocks will run 300K+ miles with just routine oil changes and minor tuneups. My '94 350 TBI with 250K miles has never even had a valve cover removed, and maybe burns 1 qt oil in 3000-4000 miles.

I seriously doubt any of these tiny turbocharged "truck" engines -- if you can call them that -- will last that long.

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have the aluminum body..will be major issue with corrosion down the road, they never got the issue solved on mustang hoods, SUV tail gates...see them all bubbled up every week..pass

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 87 Grand National & love it. Turbos & high boost are fine for 15-30 seconds at a time.
But exhaust manifolds will literally glow red-hot under long duration, high load.

I have no confidence that a tiny turbo gas engine can move a 6000+ lb SUV up a 10 mile grade in 90ºF heat, and not cause a long term degradation of the engine & other underhood comoponents

The classic chevy small blocks will run 300K+ miles with just routine oil changes and minor tuneups. My '94 350 TBI with 250K miles has never even had a valve cover removed, and maybe burns 1 qt oil in 3000-4000 miles.

I seriously doubt any of these tiny turbocharged "truck" engines -- if you can call them that -- will last that long.

It will be interesting to see. Fords been using these engines for quite some time now though...My guess is that they wouldnt risk messing up the best selling trucks in america with bad engines but who knows. Check out the testing they do on these things.

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/09/ford-f150-pickup-torture-test-videos/

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Expy has independent suspension similar to the Toyo sequoia. Better handling and comfort maybe but not ideal for towing large loads - a bit squatty.

OP
OP
15YUKON

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Expy has independent suspension similar to the Toyo sequoia. Better handling and comfort maybe but not ideal for towing large loads - a bit squatty.

Have to disagree the Expedition feels more confident towing heavy loads. The rear coils are pretty stout and at 9,200 lbs Id use a weight distributing hitch anyways. The Expedition has always held best in class towing title.

Last edited:
OP
OP
15YUKON

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have the aluminum body..will be major issue with corrosion down the road, they never got the issue solved on mustang hoods, SUV tail gates...see them all bubbled up every week..pass

This is true. They bubble. Our tailgates and hoods are aluminum too so we will see how they hold up.

Mattsred03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like im a little late on this but...
So a comparo between a 2018 top trim expy with the FX4 package vs what sounds like a standard 2017 LT 4x4. I wonder why Ford didn't opt between their new horse vs the 2018 Suburban with the 6.2 And 10 speed? Or a 2017 Denali, since that is the top trim of "the same thing". Or the RST Tahoe. They didn't want to get beat. Chevy hasn't used their joint 10 speed because they haven't needed to. Full-size Ford SUV's were a joke compared to their Chevy counterparts so why. The new Navigator is finally something FoMoCo can be proud of. And it may actually start to give Escalade some competition. But the Expedition has long since been under the shadow of Tahoe for the last decade at least. Only blue oval fans could justify buying one because they were that bad. Sure they had the third row legroom but the advantages stopped there. And if GM ever makes the 2500 Suburbans again... well, bye bye Expedition. Their little V6 wound up as tight as it will go will never be able to match 12,000+ pounds of towing. Chevy still has that ace in the hole. Ford will never be able to dominate the full size SUV market because they will never understand that a nice interior isn't enough to sell these vehicles. Expedition as well as Navigator have a long row to hoe just to diminish their low reputation in this segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.