New Purchase of 2013 - How do I turn off AFM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MDJR

MDJR

Reaction score
Has anyone with a 2010 or newer had problems with AFM?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone with a 2010 or newer had problems with AFM?

People have problems with the AFM up until the newest body style. Have you not surfed the Google? gmfullsize.com has a lengthy thread

There is a AFM delete package available that you can purchase. It replaces the lifters, camshaft, etc, with a standard setup eliminating the design flaws of the original components. I want to say Texas Speed is pretty popular.

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-7379-dod-afm-delete-kit-for-536062-engines.aspx

Last edited:
OP
OP
MDJR

MDJR

Reaction score
Ok thanks. This has 57,000 miles on it right now and came with a 12 month 12k bumper to bumper warranty. Once that is over I'll look into that. Right now my concern is with the 12mpg my wife is getting. I have AT tires on my 02 Tahoe and still manage 14-15mpg.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 more thing is to check the oil level regularly until you know for sure this particular vehicle does not suffer from exaggerated oil consumption like AFM motors are known for. Some have drastically decreased oil consumption through the deactivation in the programming alone but the mechanical delete kit will take care of this too.

OP
OP
MDJR

MDJR

Reaction score
Thanks. Just checked it, at least a quart overfilled! Guess even the dealer can't fill it right. I have to bring it in to have a new key fob programmed so I'll see if they can drain some so I don't have to. I'll keep an eye on it.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PCV loop could be contributing to the low fuel mileage. The component kits have an updated valley plate that does something with the PCV. If the PCV valve isn't flowing freely then gas mileage would suffer so you should do a search on how it applies in your application.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. This has 57,000 miles on it right now and came with a 12 month 12k bumper to bumper warranty. Once that is over I'll look into that. Right now my concern is with the 12mpg my wife is getting. I have AT tires on my 02 Tahoe and still manage 14-15mpg.

Lots of stop-and-go city driving? Lots of idling?

If so, that'll kill the fuel economy. Also, if she does a lot of city driving, the AFM is absolutely a waste. Disabling it is better than doing nothing, but deleting it by removing the components is best and should almost ensure it'll have it's 300K-mile potential. Mechanically deleting it is the most expensive route, though. The Range device is a simple plug-and-play way to disable the AFM, but it's around $200. For a little more than that, you can get a custom tune to disable AFM as well as make vast improvements to the engine's performance and transmission's shifting characteristics that can actually increase it's life and improve fuel economy, not to mention make driving it way more enjoyable. For $150, I had a local performance shop tune mine to disable AFM, tweak the transmission shifting a hair and touch on a few other requested points but did nothing for power. A power tune would've been a few hundred but I'm planning a motor swap so I didn't need it. If yours is under a warranty, you likely can't get a tune so you're limited to the Range device. Oh, you may also try using non-ethanol fuel for improved MPG.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MDJR

MDJR

Reaction score
I'll take a look. I'm hoping the dealer just had some e85 in it and that is causing it. She hasn't run a full tank through it so I'm going to watch it after next fill up. She's also been using auto start which I don't have so I'm sure that's contributing. Just was expecting at least what I get in my 02.

OP
OP
MDJR

MDJR

Reaction score
Lots of stop-and-go city driving? Lots of idling?

If so, that'll kill the fuel economy. Also, if she does a lot of city driving, the AFM is absolutely a waste. Disabling it is better than doing nothing, but deleting it by removing the components is should almost ensure it'll have it's 300K-mile potential. Mechanically deleting it is the most expensive route, though. The Range device is a simple plug-and-play way to disable the AFM, but it's around $200. For a little more than that, you can get a custom tune to disable AFM as well as make vast improvements to the engine's performance and transmission's shifting characteristics that can actually increase it's life and improve fuel economy, not to mention make driving it way more enjoyable. For $150, I had a local performance shop tune mine to disable AFM, tweak the transmission shifting a hair and touch on a few other requested points but did nothing for power. A power tune would've been a few hundred but I'm planning a motor swap so I didn't need it. If yours is under a warranty, you likely can't get a tune so you're limited to the Range device. Oh, you may also try using non-ethanol fuel for improved MPG.
Unfortunately all the gas around this area has some degree of ethanol but I don't ever use e85. Hoping next tank it goes up.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike, bought mine last year and mileage has never been great. I think I've finally narrowed it down to the cats. The right side one has been replaced before and its been throwing a code. The other threw a code recently too. They're both getting replaced. My instant economy around town is in the high teens on E85 and low 20s on 93.

Low octane, winter blend fuels also kill mileage as do poor road surfaces. I drove into a storm a few weeks back and lost 2 mpg quicker than you can snap your fingers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900