New Member - Contemplating Grand Cherokee Hemi vs. Tahoe Signature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cartnj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have both a 2015 gc summit with hemi and a new Tahoe rst with rst performance package and they are totally different vehicles.

The jeep will be a lot like your BMW X5 since I also Had that. The jeep does not feel like a truck and drives more like a car. Stiffer steering and more road feel and sportier.

The rst Tahoe is the vehicle I drive every day and for me is perfect. Good power and good handling and quieter interior cabin and smoother ride. Exhaust on the Tahoe sounds better then the jeep with hemi also.

And of course much more room in the Tahoe.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe you guys find the Tahoe 3rd row seat useful. We find it entirely too cramped for anyone over about 3 feet tall. Ours is a 2016 LTZ, and we are unable to carry more than 4 adults. More than yhat, and we have to take two cars. 3rd row seat is useless for us. I'd remove it if it was removable.
Seems dramatic. My kids are more than 3 feet tall; I probably wouldn't ask them to ride 10 hours back there but nobody complains when we drive around town to events and engagements.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both a 2015 gc summit with hemi and a new Tahoe rst with rst performance package and they are totally different vehicles.

The jeep will be a lot like your BMW X5 since I also Had that. The jeep does not feel like a truck and drives more like a car. Stiffer steering and more road feel and sportier.

The rst Tahoe is the vehicle I drive every day and for me is perfect. Good power and good handling and quieter interior cabin and smoother ride. Exhaust on the Tahoe sounds better then the jeep with hemi also.

And of course much more room in the Tahoe.
OP has a 5 series, I had the X5 and a Summit. I completely disagree though, the Jeep feels NOTHING like the X5. And it’s far from sporty, especially with the air suspension. Our GC rides smoother than the burb, but they both ride very decent.

bigT63

Reaction score
We stepped out of our 14 GC and into our 16 Tahoe just last year. The GC with a hemi is fast and fun to drive, but the size and comfort of the Tahoe is hands down the better choice for us. What made us make the decision was having our son. We just didn’t have enough room traveling wise with a child seat and luggage in the GC. The Tahoe is perfect for families who like the open road. Even then, the Suburban would be even better if you have the garage room for it.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We stepped out of our 14 GC and into our 16 Tahoe just last year. The GC with a hemi is fast and fun to drive, but the size and comfort of the Tahoe is hands down the better choice for us. What made us make the decision was having our son. We just didn’t have enough room traveling wise with a child seat and luggage in the GC.
+1. The JGC has a lot going for it, but it's really not a very large vehicle at all. It has the passenger space of a full-size sedan with a little more ground clearance and headroom inside, plus a surprisingly small cargo area. When we cross-shopped the Tahoe and JGC, my wife had a Volvo XC70, which is their wagon - by appearance, it and the JGC were about the same size.

With a JGC I think you're pretty much resigning yourself to a Yakima box on top for road trips. On our Tahoe, I've been able to leave mine behind for many of the trips where I would have needed to put it on our 2004 Explorer.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol this is all dramatic. My family of four have completely loaded up the GC several times for nationwide traveling. We’ve never had an issue with space and my wife thinks she needs to take the kitchen sink. Obviously, comparing it to the largest type of vehicle on the market, yeah there’s not many good things to say about it in regards to space because it’s a midsize suv.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol this is all dramatic. My family of four have completely loaded up the GC several times for nationwide traveling. We’ve never had an issue with space and my wife thinks she needs to take the kitchen sink. Obviously, comparing it to the largest type of vehicle on the market, yeah there’s not many good things to say about it in regards to space because it’s a midsize suv.
I’m on a snowboarding trip right now. Mammoth lakes ski resort is about a 6 hour trek north of where I live. There’s 6 of us. And hands down there wasn’t enough room for all of us plus our stuff to fit in my aunts 14 GC overland summit. Lol. We could have packed all of us and our stuff into my Yukon XL Denali, and put skis and our boards up on my ski racks mounted on my cross rails, and been here very comfortably. But she thinks two mid size suvs are cheaper to full than my Denali xl. Hah..... dramatic much?! Lol

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m on a snowboarding trip right now. Mammoth lakes ski resort is about a 6 hour trek north of where I live. There’s 6 of us. And hands down there wasn’t enough room for all of us plus our stuff to fit in my aunts 14 GC overland summit. Lol. We could have packed all of us and our stuff into my Yukon XL Denali, and put skis and our boards up on my ski racks mounted on my cross rails, and been here very comfortably. But she thinks two mid size suvs are cheaper to full than my Denali xl. Hah..... dramatic much?! Lol
Well, there's no way you're gonna get 6 adults, and gear, into a Tahoe for a 6-hour trip. No way. A Suburban, or a Yukon XL, sure. But not a Tahoe and not a GC.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, there's no way you're gonna get 6 adults, and gear, into a Tahoe for a 6-hour trip. No way. A Suburban, or a Yukon XL, sure. But not a Tahoe and not a GC.
my point was simply that none of the conversation in this thread is dramatic. This is all real world feedback on the vehicles we’ve been asking about. Sorry if I overstepped or offended.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently own a 11 GC overland and it's been nothing but great the last 6rys and 100k+ miles later (2 dealer visits). We have a 15 Yukon XL, and like all have said, whether it's the burb or tahoe it's going to have more space then the GC. I wish I had positive things about our yukon, but ours has been nothing but problems. There are some things I prefer with the XL but I definitely prefer the way the GC drives over the XL. I'm guessing this may change once I'm in an 18.

However, I am willing to give GM another shot and are curently looking to trade up for an 18 XL or Expedition Max. I'm finding some (GMC) dealers offering "employee pricing" on 18 models as well this month. The refinements and 10spd are pushing towards an 18 plus the pricing doesn't seem to be that different.

I really think it comes down to cargo needs and overall interior "roominess" you are looking for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879