New Member - Contemplating Grand Cherokee Hemi vs. Tahoe Signature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

At Law

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I am finally ending a lease on my 2015 BMW 535 M Sport and am getting back into an SUV for towing and hauling. I have been driving BMW's for nearly 15 years now and have grown tired of them.

I have arrived at very solid deals on a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, V8 Hemi, Sterling Edition and a
2017 Tahoe, Signature Package.

I have had GC's in the past and they have always been very good vehicles--and getting better every generation.

However, I have also had my eye on Tahoes as well for their size and their commendable resale value as well as overall handiness.

I would appreciate hearing from folks who have driven both and perhaps had the same choice as I currently have.

Thank you in advance.

TG

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before my burb, I had a 2016 X5 M Sport. My wife currently has a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit and before that a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland. My sister has a 2014 Overland, buddy 17 Overland and cousin 17 SRT. I think they’re great and we love them.

Even though the GC is “older”, it’s far nicer when it comes to materials used and build quality. But you just can’t beat the size and road presence of a full size GM suv.

Last edited:

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Jeep GC is a very nice vehicle, id say it comes down to how much you’d need/want the third row to be more functional or the space you get when it’s folded down. If your not going to use all that space the GC is the way to go. I agree the interior quality is great on the Jeep. If your going to tow often or fill out to the brim id say go tahoe. Depends on what you would prefer.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had both and agree with above. If you need the third row and want something that provides the most space and a larger overall road presence, the Tahoe is the way to go.
Want something more sporty, fun to drive, easier to park, and yes nicer overall...GC.
We loved our Overland edition back in the early 2000's. But we traded for an '03 Tahoe. I liked feeling like I was in a truck. My wife missed the GC.

LI Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not cross shop the Durango Anodized Citadel?
Hemi V8- 3 row seats- leather stitched dash- 2018 did away with the rotary shift knob

just saying- more apples to apples vs a GC and a Tahoe

hunter991

Reaction score
The Jeep GC was probably the best vehicle we ever owned in snowy weather. It also towed very well for its size. However, we had so many issues with it i would never go back to a jeep.

OP
OP
At Law

At Law

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. Very informative.

I am really at a tough decision point.

I don't have any kids, so I don't need a Tahoe for people hauling on a regular basis.

However, I do haul a few things from time to time and tow from time to time.

I do like the presence of the Tahoe on the road, and just generally a larger vehicle--however, not too large.

As I mentioned, I have had a number of Grand Cherokees in the past--and have had good luck with them.

What I don't want is a vehicle that is a chore to drive and extremely boring after a short time.

The Tahoe runs a little more, price wise (actually MSRP is about $12K more) -- however, discounts on both of the vehicles are significant right now.

I a contemplating whether the Tahoe has a little more "presence" on the road and is overall sharper and less common as there are Grand Cherokees on the road that literally cost $30,000 or less.

Protect1989

Reaction score
Current owner of a 2018 GC Summit, 4x4, V8

Ive had a ton of GC. 2007 Laredo, 2011 Laredo, 2014 Limited, 2015 Overland, 2018 Summit. Needless to say you can call me a fanboy, enthusiast, whatever.

The Jeep GC is an excellent vehicle in terms of cost/features. You will be hard pressed to find an equal match of what you get in a Summit compared to any other luxury SUV. Jeep has its flaws though. The service department is going to vary greatly depending on dealership and the reliability is hit or miss. Seriously your jeep is either going to be trouble free forever or youll have to keep going back to get little stupid things fixed. When I brought home my brand new 2018 summit the front headlight didnt work. Took them 3 days to figure out the problem and fix it.

I cross shopped the tahoe and the gc extensively. If im being honest, I still am. Might ditch the jeep for the tahoe only because Ive had so damn many of them.

The Jeep is certainly easier to drive and much easier to park. It has a ton of safety features and new tech that the tahoe may or may not have. It really all comes down to size and price. Do you do a ton of highway driving? If so, you might lean towards the tahoe since it is a steady cruiser and a dream for long trips. If you find your day to day to be more city driving, parking garages, and rush hour traffic, then you might consider the GC for its handling and smaller footprint.

I have no kids, no wife, I dont tow anything. I only want the tahoe for its road presence and general badassness. Is that a legitimate reason to buy the vehicle? You bet your ass it is. I dont need to justify a damn thing. But thats me. If thats not a good enough reason for you than the GC with the V8 will be more than enough to satisfy your needs.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Protect! Buddy! I helped you decide on a GC vs Denali over at JG!! I’m Overlanding, lol

The Hemi is def way way faster than a Tahoe w/ 5.3 which would be a little more fun than a Tahoe.

Last edited:

Protect1989

Reaction score
Protect! Buddy! I helped you decide on a GC vs Denali over at JG!! I’m Overlanding, lol

The Hemi is def way way faster than a Tahoe w/ 5.3 which would be a little more fun than a Tahoe.

Haha! Whats up, Overlanding!! Small world!!

Definitely agree with my buddy. The Hemi will rocket past the tahoe (especially in sport mode). It comes at the cost of fuel efficiency but if youre contemplating these two vehicles I doubt that is a major deciding factor. You could always get the 6.2L engine in the Tahoe now but youre adding even more cost to your purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65