Need u-joints?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jacob I would change the U-joints cuz it looks like there about to go if not yet have. And see if that helps, there are several other things that would make a clunk while shifting. Ex. Transmission mount, Torque Converter and backlash as discussed above.

@Biggins hhmmm have you checked the transmission mounts? I know on my DD my mount was lifting about 1.5 inches and the motor was hitting the heat shield that was the cause of the clunk.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@burb when you change them try to get the ones that have the grease nipple on it so when your lubing your chassis you can grease those up too. if not have them packed with as much grease as you can.

@edgar yea i checked all of that. even took it to a tranny shop just to make sure and they said not to worry about it and everythings fine.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07Burb,

It is possible that they may need replacement. However, the clunk noise that most owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.

Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.

For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle than a 2-wheel drive vehicle. This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common to both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additional freeplay to the driveline.

If you are truly concerned about this issue, I encourage you to take the vehicle in to be inspected by a certified technician.

Louis
GM Customer Service

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allright, try this. Open the hood, and have someone stand on the side, with the break pressed, put it in drive, and accelerate, ask the person to look at the motor, and check to see if it makes the sound, if it does, then your motor mount is shot, and you need to replace, if it is not, then, u joint or something else

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No updates yet. The noise I was hearing seems to be intermittent so I'm kind of perplexed.