need help with my dd ASAP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for upping the rest of the pics! I'm sporting some serious wood here!

The 80's square body style has always been my all time favorite for chev pickups. And that K5 is in amazing shape. If you can find any pre 88 trucks up here, they are in pretty bad shape, skin cancer is pretty much terminal. Almost makes me wanna go south of the border, just to get something like that and bring it back home.

OP
OP

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. like i said i'm really happy with it other than this pain in the ass issue i'm having right now. i'm originally from california but going to school in the nebraska and wanted to pick up a dd for winter so i got this k5. all the local trucks i checked out were rusted out junk and the asking prices were all more than this one so i had it shipped from cali.

as for my problems.....i changed the fuel filter today and no improvement. started up and idled fine for a couple minutes then started surging. i didnt have time today to change the o2 sensor but i'm doing it early in the morning. if that doesn't fix it i'm not sure where to go. the dealer assured me its not a vacuum leak and they are confident its a fuel pump. i just don't understand how a fuel pump can struggle at idle and at low rpms and then once i get it going run fine all the way through the rpm range. and i'm going on a couple weeks of this. figure the pump would have died completely by now!

does anyone have a recommendation for data logging software i can download? i saw a cable for $60 online but i'm not sure which program to run because i have windows7 and it seems like they are all for old operating systems. i figure if i can do some real monitoring while someone else is driving i can narrow this down.

*UPDATE* i think i'm going to download tunerpro or tunerproRT and buy the aldl cable for obd1. anyone have experience with these? the latest version of tunerpro was designed with windows7 so i'm good there!

Last edited:
OP
OP

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might have found the problem! i was taking off the connector to the coolant temp sensor and it was cracked. at first glance it looked fine but there was some corrosion and dirt maybe all over the connection and the connector came apart when trying to pull it. i'm going to clean it up and put the new sensor in tomorrow. i tried starting it with the connector undone and it would start and die right away (the worst so far) so i think it might have been a bad connection and i amplified it by undoing it. fingers crossed!!! i did change the o2 sensor yesterday and saw no signs of improvement so maybe this was the culprit.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man, my fingers are crossed for you. It sucks that I didn't know anything to help you, but it would be a shame to see that truck not running right.

I hope that fixes it for you! GL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Low Beam