Need a new motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is the name of the parameter that you are reading? On mine it's called 'Cam Retard'. I don't have a parameter called 'timing'.

As for why it's called 'Cam retard', I have no idea! Maybe cuz the cam shaft drives the dizzy, so adjusting the dizzy adjusts the timing? IDK, But here's what the TSB says on how to set the timing of the vortecs.

Setting Timing
Camshaft Retard Offset Test
The ignition timing cannot be adjusted. The distributor may need adjusting to prevent crossfire. To insure proper alignment of the distributor, perform the following:

With the ignition OFF, install a scan tool to the DLC.
Start the engine and bring to normal operating temperature.

Important
Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM

Increase engine speed to 1000 RPM.
Monitor the Cam Retard Offset.
If the Cam Retard indicates a value of 0° ± 2°, the distributor is properly adjusted.
If the Cam Retard does not indicate 0° ± 2°, the distributor must be adjusted.
Adjusting Camshaft Retard Offset

With the engine OFF, slightly loosen the distributor hold down bolt.
Important: Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM

Start the engine and raise engine speed to 1000 RPM.
Using a scan tool monitor Cam Retard Offset.
Rotate the distributor as follows:
To compensate for a negative reading, rotate the distributor in the counterclockwise direction.
To compensate for a positive reading, rotate the distributor in the clockwise direction.
Repeat step 4 until 0° ±2° is obtained.
Turn the ignition OFF.
Tighten the distributor hold-down bolt to 3N·m(25 lb. ft.).
Start the engine, raise engine speed to 1000 RPM and recheck Camshaft Retard Offset.

EDIT: Acording to this, you can't trust any timing readings under 1000rpm though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, after I finish cooking dinner (we have company coming over) I will toss the reader on the Hoe and see what the exact title is.

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the reader on her first thing this morning as I was leaving for work.

I dont see anything about cam retard but I do see a reading for "Sprk Adv" which was reading 21* with the engine RPM at 870 (cold morning and just started her).

I did a test and topped the tank off a few days ago and noted the miles. This morning I filled her up and added 12.6 gallons after 222 miles of driving so my mpg is 17.6 with under 600 miles on her. I figure as she breaks in a little more and I change the oil out for synthetic I should see that improve some.

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still getting on her a little...from a stop to 50 mph at 3/4 throttle and then let her coast a little. I need to finish breaking her in and setting the rings and all so it wasnt all "nice driving"...of course I drive my Mustang harder but still get 23 mpg with her. LOL

Now the question becomes how much will a BB tune improve the mpg....thats next on my list.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
honestly couldnt answer that one for you. I have a BBtune on the Fbody not on the hoe. so its a totally different ballgame. I usually dont figure out the gas mileage on the firebird since i already know its going to be terrrrible.

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it wasnt for the computer on the Stang, I wouldnt figure it out either...I would hate to be mad at my right foot!!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
So what is the name of the parameter that you are reading? On mine it's called 'Cam Retard'. I don't have a parameter called 'timing'.

As for why it's called 'Cam retard', I have no idea! Maybe cuz the cam shaft drives the dizzy, so adjusting the dizzy adjusts the timing? IDK, But here's what the TSB says on how to set the timing of the vortecs.

EDIT: Acording to this, you can't trust any timing readings under 1000rpm though.

Cam retard is what you are setting with the "dizzy". It is the correllation of the cam sensor to the crank sensor which must be read at 1000rpm or above. The computer can still alter the engine timing by just advancing or delaying the electronic output to fire a cylinder before TDC. There will always be a ignition/spark advance reading. In these vehicles it will be a realtime value always at the control of the computer.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it! Thanks for the clarification! I didn't have to break out the big scanners at all. My little MaxiTrip TP100 has it. It's called IGN on it.

On a cold start at idle in neutral it said;
22.5 IGN
1007 RPM

On a cold start at idle in drive with foot on brake it said;
24 IGN
724 RPM

I've been watching that IGN parameter most of the day, and it jumps all over the place. Low as 3 and as high as 50. Does that seem right?

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, I havent driven it around with the scanner connected. I know that in park if I rev the engine it increases from 21 to 26, but I didnt rev her hard so not sure how high it would go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts