nearly stalling after sitting for a couple days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
after my 99 tahoe sits for a couple of days it sputters for about 20ft then runs fine. The sputtering is relatively intense, kind of like a clogged fuel filter. restarting throughout the day is fine though so thats why i dont think it s the filter. everything is normal other than those few seconds at start up, you wouldn't even know there is a problem. No engine light either. could this be a fuel pump issue?

Thanks for the help.

pcbcadman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2003 LT 5.3 Tahoe is doing the same thing, but it continues for a few minutes. My fuel pressure is 50 psi. The spec says that it should be 55 to 61 psi. Do you think this close to the spec would cause this? I have a mechanic friend that thinks it could be a check valve leaking, but wasn't sure this fuel pump has one. Can any speak to this? I assume this may be a sign that the pump is weakening or not? Mine acts like it is starving for gas... Thanks, Johnny

laredo1307

Reaction score
Check under your distributor cap. You might be getting some corrosion build-up.

pcbcadman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
About 43 lbs. of pressure after one minute of the pump turning off. About 40 lbs. after an hour. When switch is first turned on it is 50 lbs. As soon as you start the engine it goes to 45 lbs. I understand the spec for this Tahoe (2003 Flex fuel - 5.3) is suppose to be 55 to 61. Do you think this is enough out of spec. to cause this problem? It has 113K miles and the pump nor the regulator has ever been changed. Fuel filter was changed about 18 months ago or (15K miles). it only acts up first thing in the morning when you first crank it up. Acts like it's starving for gas, then after a couple of minutes it runs fine. I am just wondering if this is a precursor to the pump dying on me.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
well the pump seem to hold static pressure just fine. what happens to pressure if you crack to wot? also running gas or ethanol?

pcbcadman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is "crack to wot"? I am running gas... This problem reminds me too of an old big block chevy that I had that vapor locked years ago.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401