A/C Compressor Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivelite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just added to the family a 99 Suburban with the 5.7 w/306k miles. It needs its fair share of items but the previous owner was pretty on top of maintenance. The GMC dealership dropped in a new engine at 238k and a local transmission shop rebuilt the 4L80 along with a new T case and rear diff at 222k. Frame is solid and interior is is cleaning up well. This used to be their towing vehicle but since 2017 have only put on 10k miles as they got another vehicle for that so it has just been sitting. I replaced the charging system alt, starter, pulleys and belt and it runs considerably better. With those components replaced I can now hear the clutch on the compressor starting to grind. I checked the system and it looks empty as nothing came out of the schrader valves. I can replace the compressor, dryer and orifice easily enough and have my shop do the AC service. Question is would I be doing any damage if I replaced the compressor and leave it unplugged until I can make it to the shop to do the AC service maybe a few days later? My 03 Escalade had an AC belt so when I replaced the compressor I left the belt off and took it to the shop and they put the belt on and did the AC service.

Thanks
Ray

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem if you leave the wire off, but it really shouldn't matter if the system is working properly since it shouldn't energize the compressor with no charge in the system. Is the clutch engaging now? If it has no freon it shouldn't.
When you replace the compressor and other parts be sure to put the correct amount of the correct oil in each component after you flush the system.

OP
OP
Rivelite

Rivelite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply. I figured it would be ok just wanted to double check. The clutch is not engaging but the build up of corrosion is starting to catch and drag on the clutch causing the grinding. I am planning on getting one with the oil prefilled and the shop can handle the flush and recharge from there.

PXL_20240205_184413093.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019