My 2005 Yukon Denali XL only tow's 7,900 compared to my 5.3 which is 8600?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just put new brakes on it from R1 Concepts. Saw others did too. Went with the R1 Carbon Series Rotors. Put the Heavy Duty Towing pads on. However, somehow I ended up with both slotted and drilled. Should have only gotten the slotted, Carbon Rotors with the slots should handle the heat just fine. So they defiantly stop better than OEM, but Looks like R1 is doing the right thing and exchanging the rotors to just slotted. I put new Calipers on with new Brake Lines as well. Brake lines were OEM, but calipers were from R1. Really reasonably priced, and with the correct rotors, best this bad boy has ever stopped. Stay tuned.
It would have been a worthwhile upgrade to use the gmt900 front brake setup since you were replacing calipers. The rotors are larger. You should also consider adding hydroboost for more stopping power. How are the r1 carbon rotors holding up? I'm considering them only drilled and slotted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

dreeveal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A trailer brake controller is an absolute must for that much weight in my experience. I tow a heavy tent trailer w/ toy hauler with a 6.0L LQ9 Escalade ESV and the stopping difference is completely night and day. Good luck and stay safe!

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would have been a worthwhile upgrade to use the gmt900 front brake setup since you were replacing calipers. The rotors are larger. You should also consider adding hydroboost for more stopping power. How are the r1 carbon rotors holding up? I'm considering them only drilled and slotted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
His 2005 Denali xl should already have hydro boost brakes. I’m positive GM switched to it with the 2005 models. My 2006 xl Denali does.
@Searay45db you should consider a bigger trans cooler. I went with the TruCool 40K max unit. And it’s fantastic. No regrets on that upgrade at all. I tow a big 20 foot open bow sea ray 200, a few times a summer and temps almost never go above 160. Well worth it to protect your transmission from higher temps!
And definitely a trailer brake controller. I’m ordering one for the coming summer because my truck already has the wiring setup for it from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660