My 2005 Yukon Denali XL only tow's 7,900 compared to my 5.3 which is 8600?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in a pickle. I have a 2000 GMC Yuki XL with the 5,3 that is rated at 8,600 lbs for towing. I bought a new boat, and I instead took the 2005 Yuki XL Denali with the 6.0, drove 9 hours to North Carolina only to discover I now have problem.

You would think that with the bigger engine I could tow more...silly me. Is this more of a weight issue fore braking or how did they downgrade the weight. I am at 8,300 lbs, I am sure it will be fine, but trying to figure out why they did this. I have upgraded the brakes, I run a little softer pad for better stopping. Thoughts?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think so. Your Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) cannot exceed 14,000lbs and yet your truck's GVWR is probably around 7,500lbs and your GTWR is 8,300 or 8,600 and whichever you choose, if everything was at max weight, would exceed the combined weight rating by well over 1,000 lbs.

Lord Snax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You would think that with the bigger engine I could tow more...silly me.

Your thinking is not far off. The 6.0L is much more powerful than the 5.3L. So yes, the 6.0L can pull more.

As to your brakes, the 1/2 ton (1500) Yukons, Tahoes and Suburban's brakes are not that powerful compared to a 3/4 ton (2500) Suburban brakes. The company I work for has a 2010 Seirra 1500 with the 5.3L and I have pulled a pressure washer with a 500gal water tank on it. The trailer weighs roughly 8,000Lbs fully loaded and the truck has trouble starting and stopping that much weight.

I would look into some brake upgrades if you plan on going on long road trips with your new boat. I would also maybe look into transmission cooler upgrades as well. These upgrades will help you go much farther with your boat or future camper if you don't already have one.

Also, I personally would tow the boat with the Yukon that has the 6.0L. When I pull the pressure washer with the Seirra 1500 with the 5.3L at work, I have to ask the following two questions when I encounter a hill. "Do I need to turn off the A/C to make it up this hill?" and "How much of a run up do I need to make it up this hill?"

Hope this helps,
Lord Snax

OP
OP
Searay45db

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your thinking is not far off. The 6.0L is much more powerful than the 5.3L. So yes, the 6.0L can pull more.

As to your brakes, the 1/2 ton (1500) Yukons, Tahoes and Suburban's brakes are not that powerful compared to a 3/4 ton (2500) Suburban brakes. The company I work for has a 2010 Seirra 1500 with the 5.3L and I have pulled a pressure washer with a 500gal water tank on it. The trailer weighs roughly 8,000Lbs fully loaded and the truck has trouble starting and stopping that much weight.

I would look into some brake upgrades if you plan on going on long road trips with your new boat. I would also maybe look into transmission cooler upgrades as well. These upgrades will help you go much farther with your boat or future camper if you don't already have one.

Also, I personally would tow the boat with the Yukon that has the 6.0L. When I pull the pressure washer with the Seirra 1500 with the 5.3L at work, I have to ask the following two questions when I encounter a hill. "Do I need to turn off the A/C to make it up this hill?" and "How much of a run up do I need to make it up this hill?"

Hope this helps,
Lord Snax

You have some interesting points. Have completed the trip, interestingly, tranny fluid still looks good. Temp certainly was higher, but nothing abnormal. as far as oil cooler, do they sell bigger coolers compared to stock?

This thing is a ***** to stop. I went with a commercial set-up for the rear, a softer pad, more dust, but similar to what my Mercedes has. Was looking at upgrades for the front. Are you talking about calipers, rotors and pads?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine, GVWR, Suspension and Driveline (2wd,4wd,AWD) all come into play and are designed together as a package on any given vehicle for tow rating.

Lord Snax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have some interesting points. Have completed the trip, interestingly, tranny fluid still looks good. Temp certainly was higher, but nothing abnormal. as far as oil cooler, do they sell bigger coolers compared to stock?

This thing is a ***** to stop. I went with a commercial set-up for the rear, a softer pad, more dust, but similar to what my Mercedes has. Was looking at upgrades for the front. Are you talking about calipers, rotors and pads?

I am sure there are bigger coolers available, where to find them, I am not sure. You could look at stores that specialize in customization. A place like a rim and sound store may be able to help you find upgrades. They should be able to find a brake upgrade and any other upgrades or accessories for your Yukon. I would get a trailer brake controller for your Yukon if your boat trailer has a trailer brake.

One thing to remember, is that the front brakes do the most work stopping the vehicle. So I would put an upgrade on the front brakes first. That's just me.

Hope this helps,
Lord Snax

OP
OP
Searay45db

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just put new brakes on it from R1 Concepts. Saw others did too. Went with the R1 Carbon Series Rotors. Put the Heavy Duty Towing pads on. However, somehow I ended up with both slotted and drilled. Should have only gotten the slotted, Carbon Rotors with the slots should handle the heat just fine. So they defiantly stop better than OEM, but Looks like R1 is doing the right thing and exchanging the rotors to just slotted. I put new Calipers on with new Brake Lines as well. Brake lines were OEM, but calipers were from R1. Really reasonably priced, and with the correct rotors, best this bad boy has ever stopped. Stay tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts