4L80E into 01-06 Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nsogiba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to build a nice family hauler and tow rig out of a 01-06 Yukon XL Denali. Been in the LS world for about a decade now and intimately familiar with the engines, so the 6.0 is a no-brainer for me. Haven't yet purchased a truck, so I'm still in the process of determining which year is more advantageous.

Anyone swapped a 4L80E into one of these and kept the original transfer case and AWD? Plans are a small turbo long term, so no way I want to run any kind of 60E/65E. I'm sure some folks have had good luck with their built 60E but I am not interested in going down that path at all.

What's it take to get an 80E in a Yukon XL Denali?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped a 2wd truck, so not much help on the AWD. But you need a kinda rare, specialized input shaft for your transfer case. On the performancetruck.net recently a member that manufactured them said he had a few still for sale. But I think there's other places that make them and IIRC they go for like $600.

If you haven't bought the vehicle, maybe look into a 2500 suburban? Those came with the LQ4, 4L80E, beefier rear axle and leaf springs. Basically an ideal towing rig. 8600 lbs GVWR. Just not as common. No AWD though, only NP246.

Edit: Oh, wait. Are you username LQ4-E39 over on that forum? If so, nevermind. LoL

OP
OP
N

nsogiba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I swapped a 2wd truck, so not much help on the AWD. But you need a kinda rare, specialized input shaft for your transfer case. On the performancetruck.net recently a member that manufactured them said he had a few still for sale. But I think there's other places that make them and IIRC they go for like $600.

If you haven't bought the vehicle, maybe look into a 2500 suburban? Those came with the LQ4, 4L80E, beefier rear axle and leaf springs. Basically an ideal towing rig. 8600 lbs GVWR. Just not as common. No AWD though, only NP246.

Edit: Oh, wait. Are you username LQ4-E39 over on that forum? If so, nevermind. LoL
Yeah that's me. I've been passively searching for a 2500 but have found examples to be either completely beaten and rotted for 12k, or in great shape for over 20k. Seems to be no middle ground.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to build a nice family hauler and tow rig out of a 01-06 Yukon XL Denali. Been in the LS world for about a decade now and intimately familiar with the engines, so the 6.0 is a no-brainer for me. Haven't yet purchased a truck, so I'm still in the process of determining which year is more advantageous.

Anyone swapped a 4L80E into one of these and kept the original transfer case and AWD? Plans are a small turbo long term, so no way I want to run any kind of 60E/65E. I'm sure some folks have had good luck with their built 60E but I am not interested in going down that path at all.

What's it take to get an 80E in a Yukon XL Denali?
This isn't EXACTLY an apples to apples comparison, but I think it will get you where you want to go. I grabbed the whole play list, but you will want to focus on 2nd and 3rd installments.

The Ugly Truck Complete Build Series

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019