My '03 'Hoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
OK guys. This truck is P.... me off greatly thoses days...

First is the horn that much have a weird short circuit since it works for 4-5 seconds then burn the fuse. :Plugged:

Now, let's back to my major problem : the shocks.
Remmeber I've swapped them with Bilstein from arnott. Sadly I have the Autoride stuff which I found it useless since the ony thing my trailer hitch will handle is a bike carrier. Whatever.
This is a picture of my rear bilstein :
img0054copie.jpg

The blue arrow shows the plug that come from the air compressor. It's plugged.
The red arrows shows the plug that is supposed to tell you when your shocks are dead. Since it's not plugged anymore I've got a message displayed asking me to repair my shocks/struts.
The most ennoying part is shown by the two whites arrows.

The lower metallic part is the top of the rubber blader that is supposed to be air-filled when the Tahoe is fully loaded or trailling. Since I'm not, it's not air filled and each time the shocks is comrpessed, the two parts shown bu the white arrows strike together. It doesn't sound trusty.

img0055copie.jpg

On this picture you can see the bladder is not air filled, I can move it with a finger.
By the way I hear my compressor just once since I installed the shocks. What a difference with before !

I need to know if the unplugged plug has anything to do with the Autoride.
Whatever it does, I need to know too how does the computer knows the truck is loaded. Is there a switch somewhere on the chassis ?

Please, help me. Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
I've driven the Tahoe to a mechanic last week.
There as so many things do to on it.
LPG : the filling tip was leaking at each tank filling. It's replaced now.
LPG : he has got a flashlub' system installed. It sends oil mixed with the gaz into the line so the cylinder head does not spoil.

Horn : the horn only let me use it for a few seconds before the fuse blow up. The harness inside the car under the dashbord has some wires almost cut and touched the body making the fuse blowing up. It was about time : it almost caught fire!

Suspension : With the working rear shocks was delivered the small electronic device with the harness-correct plugs. The mechanic will fixe them correcty to the body.
Concerning the front struts, the devices are not furnished with the correct harness-plug. The mechanic will cut the harness and solder some cable links so I will be able to plug the harness on whatever is needed : shocks' plug or electronic device's plug. :)

See you later this week (i hope) for pictures to come.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
HI,
I' just gor the mechanic at the phone.
Everything is working fine about the shocks. He put in place the electronic devices and plug them as it should be. He also changed the compressor that had a rusty valve. That explained my clicking shocks.

I'm gonna get it tomorrow afternoon. I'm eager to drive it again. :)

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that Tom, frustrating for sure when stuff isn't working correctly especially after making a hefty investment $$$$$ wise into them!!

Also, tell you mechanic to take the dryer off of the compressor, lube up the o-ring on the dryer for a good seal, and then when putting the dryer back onto the compressor to press it as far in as possible and then screw the holding tab back on to hold it all in place!!

I had a small leak at that spot that I couldn't hear but it would air down the shocks after only an hour of the truck sitting. Finally heard it leaking when hooking up to my trailer last week and found that connection between the dryer and the compressor was leaking!! Lubed it up and tightened it all the way down and it's good as new again!! I started cussing out Arnott there for a month or so under my breath, now I'm all good now!! hahaha

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
I got my Hoe back last friday and drove it since.

----> The shocks. Everything is working ok. The electronics devices have been installed and fixed to the chassis. There's no more signal shown on the dashboard. :)
The noise i heard was coming from the fact that the compressor died shortly after I changed the shocks and they weren't keep under pressure enough.
Now with a waaaaaay more silent new compressor, they are kept pressurized and do not make noise anymore. :)

-----> The horn blowing up fuse. You should look under your dashboard. There's a harness located right above the foot brake pedal bracket. The wires were not protected in anyway and the wire was bare naked. Each time it touched the body it blew the fuse. The mechanic put a plastic girdle arnoud the harness so it shouldn't happen anymore.

----> The flash'lube system is running great as long as i can say. Only did a hundred of miles with it yet.

There's nothing wrong with Arnott's.
S...t happens. That's what happened to me when the first set of rear shocks was defective. They send me free of charge a new set that is perfect.
I would certainly buy again form them if i didn't decided to swap for Monroe fully Autoride-proof shocks next time I'll have to swap them.

There is still a few things to do to have a fully operationnal Tahoe. The most important to me is to find small bulbs for my dashboard. 2 of them are burnt and I don't want LEDs. The guy here who swap bulbs told me he may has some but never heard of him since...

Everything else is cosmetical: swap most of the radio switches and memory seat control switches on the door pannel that are worn out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Here are few pics about the work done.

The FlashLube reservoir:
img0108jy.jpg

Both gas (lower) and gaz (upper) filling tip :
img0101lz.jpg

Without the protective cap :
img0102cu.jpg

See the black tube in the rear :
img0099sl.jpg

That protects now the harness.

Rear electronic devices and fully pressured shocks:
img0104lk.jpg

img0103qa.jpg

Front electronic device:
img0105fw.jpg

The original socket for the front shock has been cut and plugged so I can put it back on the harness anytime.:
img0110zs.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you got taken care of very well then Tom!! Question, what's the flash lube bottle assembly for?