My '03 'Hoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Some updates.
I experienced some starting issue. It seems that when I removed the grouind strap from beyond the engine, I let another wire get loosen. SInce it's impossible to see anything back there I did not see it. My mechanic told me he find out and now my tahoe is running fine.

Well, in fact it's not running so fine. I've discovered where my noises where coming from. It's the famous tranfer box hole problem.

An internal part dig a hole into the case and the oil gently leak slowly when you drive. There is plenty of video about that on youtube.

I'lm currently filling the case with 80w90 oil each month while i wait to have enough money to buy the upgrade kit available online.

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

The good news in working 43 hours per week is that I have no more time to spend my money. lol
So after thinking a lot about it, I'm not sure it's a so good idea to buy a new housing for my rubbed transfer case. It cost the two-third of a new TC and I'm not even sure that the inside is still ok.
The first noise came in february 2014. I drove it 9 more month until I let it rest into the garage. Knowing that the oil leak must have started long before the noise can be heard, I'm pretty sure that the stuff inside are now rotten.

I've checked Rockauto prices. The remanufactured Retech TC is at €1271.42 with custom taxes it's around €1525.71.
The core thing, I don't car It will cost me the same amount to ship it the old one back.
I'll keep it and may be repair it somedays.

The MErchant Automotive kit is priced $75 add one plus 2 liters of Auto track II and I'll be done. lol

If I get paid in february and march I'll have enough money saved to order everything and do the swap.
Wish me luck. I'll need all the luck (and money lol) i can get.

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
The transfer case is finally down !

img_1511.jpg

My workspace :
img_1512.jpg

and the TC on my home-made workbench :
img_1513.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
This may need an update.

I finally manage to find an used TC.

The story is the TC has been replaced when the vehicule was still in the US. I hope this one has been upgrade of the pump rup issue will rise again.
Sadly, the US mechanic did not put back the rubber boot that protect the front drive shaft yoke and the TC from being soldered by dirt and rust.
The french seller who imported the truck to part it out told me he give me the shaft because I could dmaage a gasket when putting mine back.
At this moment I believed him.
In fact there is no gasket there and he only told me that because his east-born employéé couldn't remove the shaft.
I needed 2 weeks after work hours to finally remove that shaft.
Then I cleaned as much as I could but my shaft wouldn't fit in. I send it to a garage that celaned everything with professional products and I was able to put the shaft back in place.

THis happenend this summer and form september I enjoyed ridding my truck again.

After two days without driving it I needed it today. I was surprised to see the "Service Ride control" displayed.

That sux. Each time I need my truck it falls apart.
I repair a fail when another one shows up.

I really think of selling it. I'm really tried of being pissed off.

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Well this time it's over, man.

Last Thursday, when going back home the Tahoe made a weird noise and stalled. I managed to go to the garage. It was pissing water..

Today the garage called : my head gasket blew up and the water pump may be sick since the noise it made.

In France we say that ***** fly in Squadron. That's right. Not only the head gasket is blown up but there's a leak on the LPG circuit.

For our american fellow, the gas here si so expensive we can't afford US vehicle but if they are equipped to run with Liquid Petrol Gaz wuich is a mix of Propane and Butane.
Sadly, the mix burn at higher temperature than regular gasoline which is bad for heads made of aluminum. That may explain why at only 146.000 km it had its heads remade, and now at 196.000 km they will have to be remade again.

Since my garage doesn't do LPG? it doesn't want to work on it as long as it's not repaired. I'll have to ship my Truck on a flatbed up to 40 miles away to a professional and have it snet back to te garage so he can fix the headgasket.
Now I'm pissed off. I was installing a new audio headunit, was looking for new trnasmitter and thinking of some LED taillights but it's over. Each time I'm nice with "him" it falls apart.
For French and European fellows, know that I'm selling it.

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Few month of perfect driving then one sunday afternoon, it did not want to start again.
It crank, sputters, but won't start.
I feel like it's the fuel pump but I still can hear it 1 second when I turn the key to start.

Before I buy some tools to test the fuel pressure, I'd like to ODB2 it. My ODB2 tester is a chinese sh.t that did not cost much but never gave me a correct information.
So far I have no error code, but 5 notice the Reader says it's N/A.
I'd like a better ODB2 Reader, which one do you recommand?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Few month of perfect driving then one sunday afternoon, it did not want to start again.
It crank, sputters, but won't start.
I feel like it's the fuel pump but I still can hear it 1 second when I turn the key to start.

Before I buy some tools to test the fuel pressure, I'd like to ODB2 it. My ODB2 tester is a chinese sh.t that did not cost much but never gave me a correct information.
So far I have no error code, but 5 notice the Reader says it's N/A.
I'd like a better ODB2 Reader, which one do you recommand?

A good way is a Bluetooth obdii adapter and a good phone app like "torque" or "dash command" cheap and effective.

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
A good way is a Bluetooth obdii adapter and a good phone app like "torque" or "dash command" cheap and effective.

They seems nice but honestly, I don't care about the display of the gauges. I just want a item that can't tell me wich cide are "on", even GM specific codes.
Does any of those apps does that?

My actual ODB2 reader is this MaxiScan MS309
Will this one be better : https://www.amazon.com/Foxwell-Scan...1-fkmr1&keywords=chevrolet+tahoe+odb2+scanner

Or even this one : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/iCarSoft-Sca...00-/172546898691?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Or will the Torque app be better ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Followed your advice and bought a IeGeek WiFi ODB2 adapter and DL 10 apps to my tablet.
Sadly It doesn't told me if there were any pressure in the fuel system.
Beside I have no error code. Will wait for my pressure tester to arrive for futher investigations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645