Making the Yukon Faster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Staright to the point i have a yukon xl with a 5.3 vortec and 4L60E trans. I am wanting to make it a little more jumpy. I have the basic k&n cold air intake kit and then Flowmaster exhaust. I also have an edge cts 2 tuner.

Even with the tuner i notice a decent amount of power increase but i still cant seem to get enough power to even spin my tires unless im accelerating out of a turn. But like burnouts i just cant seem to get it.

What would you recommend i do next to get some more power out of it.
I know i cant take the biggest fattest pig out there and make it a race car lol but i would like to get more out of it.

Ive been thinking of gear swap.
Torque converter
Corvette servo

What do you guys think.
How can I gain more power

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all you have atm is an intake and cat back exhaust and a tuner you have plenty of options. If you have the cash and you want to do one big item have a turbo setup bolted on. If you prefer to go easy with one part at a time you can have a set of headers put on. Unless your truck has the low gearing id leave the gears alone for now and no reason to mess with the torque converter till you start making bigger numbers. A shift kit with the servo upgrade will help get the power down faster. You could also have a cam swap done. With headers and or a cam id go above the edge tuner tho and have a custom tune done.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking into a magnusun supercharger atm. But how much can I gain from just headers? And what about a Cam? And how much would they run.

I am ordering the corvette servo tomorrow most likely and do you think a shift kit will help much more after the servo?

Sorry im no pro when it comes upgrading.

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cam swap, long tubes, and a custom tune from black bear. If you still want more after that, it's time to start looking into forced induction.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got any details about a cam swap

hec.deli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a Denali with a supercharger online roaming around doing a few burnouts. Think would be a good step forward for more power. Honestly I do not know what else it had changed under the hood but seemed to leave plenty in the dust on the strip...

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably had a line lock or tune because stock the rev limiter is set to 1800.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as a cam swap your best bet is to pick a good brand easy choice would be comp cams. Give them a call and ask for a direct swap cam. They will tell you exactly what you want. Or find a good performance shop around your area and go to them and they will take care of all the hard decisions for you. If all your looking for is to be able to do smokey burnouts and give it more punch upgrading the trans, cam, headers, and custom tune will get you what you want. If you want to go all out go straight to forced induction with a cam to match headers and custom tune.

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got any details about a cam swap

I have not personally done a cam swap, yet, but the LS based motors are super simple to work on. When choosing a cam, it's best to call a few different cam companies and tell them what you want, they can spec out the best cam for you.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya not looking to make it a drag truck but want it to be faster off the line for the occasional time i do take it to do drags at my local 1/8th mile drag. Im doing high 10s right now. So forced induction being last on the list due to price. Im thinking trans and headers for right now and maybe a cam. Can anyone give price estimates on these things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM