Rear driver side brakes making awful creaking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s Moo’g. Some brake shoe and disc combo are more prone to it. Little bit of grease on the back of the pads and on the ears of the pads as well as making sure the stainless anti squeal clips are installed should knock it off

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally had this issue, and it drove me up the wall. The rear brakes sounded like the old squeaky floorboard of a 200 year old house. I had even taken everything apart, lubed it up, made sure everything was functioning properly, bled the brake system, and it STILL was noisy.

What was the fix? A full brake job. New rotors, and the most important thing: new pads. I believe the old rear brake pads' backing plate warped causing the creaking. It is important to note that I was using Akebono ACTs when I normally used Akebono ASPs. Normally, this should NOT make a difference...but for me, it absolutely did.

As I said, a complete brake job completely cured the issue. New rotors, new pads, new silicone grease, brake fluid bled properly, the works. And it's been about 30k miles since without a squeak. Actually, I do need to go in and relube it, as the rear is making a really, really slight chirp when coming to a full stop, but you have to really listen very hard for it, and I'm picky as heck, so I can hear it.

So my advice to you: do a full brake job, and do not cheap out on parts.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2015 does this and I assumed it was my brake booster going. Since that’s at common issue. I admittedly haven’t looked too deep into the issue but now I’ll try to pinpoint the noise to see if it’s closer to each wheel or master cylinder

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's done this for quite a while too. I've even done a full brake job that didn't make any difference at all. That's why I'm starting to lean towards the caliper itself. I think my next step is to rebuild the caliper if I can find the part number for the piston. Rockauto only has a genuine piston for the front caliper. Not sure if they use the same piston.

I may pull everything apart and see if the noise persists even when the caliper isn't on the rotor.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's done this for quite a while too. I've even done a full brake job that didn't make any difference at all. That's why I'm starting to lean towards the caliper itself. I think my next step is to rebuild the caliper if I can find the part number for the piston. Rockauto only has a genuine piston for the front caliper. Not sure if they use the same piston.

I may pull everything apart and see if the noise persists even when the caliper isn't on the rotor.
If you use a cheaper brand brake pad, this CAN happen. As stated, I use Akebono. I thought that it was high quality enough for me to step down from ASP to ACT, but that is exactly what caused it, and it even kept creaking after I reinstalled with some old ASP rear brake pads that I had laying around in my garage.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use a cheaper brand brake pad, this CAN happen. As stated, I use Akebono. I thought that it was high quality enough for me to step down from ASP to ACT, but that is exactly what caused it, and it even kept creaking after I reinstalled with some old ASP rear brake pads that I had laying around in my garage.
I usually use Powerstop for our Tahoe and Avalanche. However, I did the brakes on the Tahoe around the same time as my son's 4Runner. Centric rotors and Akebono pads were recommended on the 4Runner forum so I went with those on both vehicles. They have squeaked since day 1 on both vehicles, and I cannot wait for them to wear out. I'm probably just gonna do a full brake job with the Powerstops that I've used in the past and rebuild the calipers while I have everything off. If that doesn't do it, then I guess we'll just have to set the Tahoe on fire. :)

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally fixed the problem over the weekend. Replaced the caliper piston and seals, and did a full brake job all the way around. No squeaks or creaks from anywhere now. Little concerned about the new seal as it didn't seem like it wanted to seat properly, so I'll have to check it after a little driving.

Pretty sure the piston was the cause. Not real sure how it was causing that terrible noise, but the piston did have some indentations in it.

PXL_20240415_211433686.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20240415_211440042.PORTRAIT.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz