Low oil pressure on 6.2l 2007 escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
i saw there was one major chronicals post on low oil pressure but I feel I have a slightly different issue pertaining to it.

Recently I purchased a 2007 Cadillac Escalade. 118,6xx miles. When I bought it (as is) from my dealership that is currently my place of employment.no oil change done my by me just yet. It has an Evap valve service engine code, a bad brake switch.... And about 4 days later I had codes on the DIC saying "stabitrac-off/ service traction control)..now the problems begin! The codes showed up intermittently, on and off ect.I took it a mile down the road when these issues worsened and it threw itself into neutral while in drive gear and then threw itself into 2nd gear and wouldn't leave 2nd gear. It got so annoying that I called the dealership to schedule to have it looked at.

Now to the point, The day I took it in, I had it in the garage for 4 days not driven, but the night before I went to bed I had the battery disconnected for 4 days and then I connected it again, took it to the bottom of the hill and back to make sure it was shifting so I can make it to the shop..it was fine..and I mention now that there was no "low oil pressure stop engine" light. The next morning. I get ready to pull it out of the garage and within 10 seconds of starting it it says "low oil pressure, stop engine". This is the first time it's ever showed up. And to me it's funny that it's doing this now after these electrical issues.

The dealership is telling me I need to replace the EBCM to fix the electrical issues and they said that the low oil pressure is a separate issue and straight away to change the oil pump. Not even a process of elimination. I personally think the sensor is bad or something because I know these engines are "bulletproof" or maybe even the sensor filter is clogged or a s***** oil filter and oil. Because this issue never showed up till the electrical issues. Any suggestions. I really don't want to have to deal with 12 hours of labor at $100 an hour for an $135 part jus to find out it's something small. HELP!

Last edited:

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we do one 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 oil pressure sensor/week at my independent shop. It's usually the sensor, clogged screen or sometimes the instrument cluster. Sometimes it's low oil level due to massive consumption (that's another can of worms). We always verify actual oil pressure in the block. The oil pumps can go bad, but it's much less likely. Stabilitrac/trac control lights can be EBCM failure, but also the brake booster, steering wheel position sensor, ABS wheel speed sensor, and on and on.

Sounds like your advisor was talking out his ass or just flipping you the worst case to get you off his back. Do you know any techs well enough to pick their brain? Did they do any diagnosis? Find the right tech, flip him $100 to spend the time to get a REAL diagnosis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we do one 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 oil pressure sensor/week at my independent shop. It's usually the sensor, clogged screen or sometimes the instrument cluster. Sometimes it's low oil level due to massive consumption (that's another can of worms). We always verify actual oil pressure in the block. The oil pumps can go bad, but it's much less likely. I have seen the EBCM's go bad, but usually stabilitrac/trac control lights are something far simpler like an ABS sensor.

Sounds like your advisor was talking out his ass. Do you know any techs well enough to pick their brain? Did they do any diagnosis? Find the right tech, flip him $100 to spend the time to get a REAL diagnosis.

I have a tech at Mercedes where I'm employed and he does my work and they all are master techs but he said the doesn't have the tech2's like gm or their computers to read the computer issues and he has a different oil pressure gauge that won't work for gm. I do have a buddy at the gm dealership that it's at now, he claims it seems like the oil pump because of the valve tap. But he forgot a few weeks ago he told me they were slow on work coming in (fishy).But the valve tap is normal when cold. The low oil pressure light happened the day I took it to the gm dealer so it got towed and my tech at Mercedes didn't have a chance to see it in person. It's still sitting at gm as we speak. If it's the sensor or oil change I'll save the two hours of labor and do it myself. I'm freaking out if it's the oil pump. But those engines are tanks

OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we do one 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 oil pressure sensor/week at my independent shop. It's usually the sensor, clogged screen or sometimes the instrument cluster. Sometimes it's low oil level due to massive consumption (that's another can of worms). We always verify actual oil pressure in the block. The oil pumps can go bad, but it's much less likely. Stabilitrac/trac control lights can be EBCM failure, but also the brake booster, steering wheel position sensor, ABS wheel speed sensor, and on and on.

Sounds like your advisor was talking out his ass or just flipping you the worst case to get you off his back. Do you know any techs well enough to pick their brain? Did they do any diagnosis? Find the right tech, flip him $100 to spend the time to get a REAL diagnosis.

Also, the brake booster sensor codes and everything else were showing up too on the scanner tool so I'm hoping the EBCM fixes that too like you're saying. I'm starting to think I got a bad egg. I've had it for 2 weeks and only drove it two or 3 times..definitely makes me sad. I'm hoping it's small stuff. And as far as the oil issue. I'm hoping the oil change and sensor change with cleaning that screen helps. Hopefully I can take that screen out and clean it and replace it. I'm pretty sure there is a generic brand oil filter on it and I know these engines throw a fit with the wrong filter on.

Jagsta

Reaction score
Being an 07 of you don't have Active Fuel management you won't have the screen below the oil pressure sensor. Your low oil pressure could be the oil pickup tube o-ring where it connects to the oil pump. My 07 Denali was doing that and it ended up being the o-ring and has been for many here if you read through the forum, it's far more common than a bad oil pump which I don't actually think I've read of someone here having yet. Do you have loud noise coming from the top end at cold idle when it's throwing the low oil pressure warning?

OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
Being an 07 of you don't have Active Fuel management you won't have the screen below the oil pressure sensor. Your low oil pressure could be the oil pickup tube o-ring where it connects to the oil pump. My 07 Denali was doing that and it ended up being the o-ring and has been for many here if you read through the forum, it's far more common than a bad oil pump which I don't actually think I've read of someone here having yet. Do you have loud noise coming from the top end at cold idle when it's throwing the low oil pressure warning?

Ahh okay. So there's no screen? I thought all of them had the screen in front of it. If it was the o-ring, what work is Intailed with getting access to that? I'm assuming dropping the front differential ect. At cold idle you hear a decent tap for a little then it warms up it goes away. But ever since the low pressure light was on I never ran it long enough to hear any distinct new sounds. Just long enough to start it and drive it on the rollback. When it got the the shop they called me later in the day and they said "the valve tap sounds normal to us I would say try the sensor" then the next day my buddy that works there said two days later "we started it this morning and it sounds a lot louder, I'm worried it might really be the pump." ...well why in the hell is the dealership starting a supposedly "oil deprived" truck out of the shop instead of pushing it out!? Your causing more damage! Morons!

Jagsta

Reaction score
Ahh okay. So there's no screen? I thought all of them had the screen in front of it. If it was the o-ring, what work is Intailed with getting access to that? I'm assuming dropping the front differential ect. At cold idle you hear a decent tap for a little then it warms up it goes away. But ever since the low pressure light was on I never ran it long enough to hear any distinct new sounds. Just long enough to start it and drive it on the rollback. When it got the the shop they called me later in the day and they said "the valve tap sounds normal to us I would say try the sensor" then the next day my buddy that works there said two days later "we started it this morning and it sounds a lot louder, I'm worried it might really be the pump." ...well why in the hell is the dealership starting a supposedly "oil deprived" truck out of the shop instead of pushing it out!? Your causing more damage! Morons!

2007's that didn't have Active Fuel Management don't have the screen according to what I've read (and witnessed with mine). Your low oil pressure sounds JUST like mine, it started off as a little noise at cold idle that would go away when warm and then eventually progressed over time to very LOUD tapping for about a minute until oil pressure could get up. I could get oil pressure up by revving the engine but it would submarine as soon as RPMS came back down. Then it was super loud and I started getting the low oil pressure warning (at that point I turned it off and proceeded to fix the o-ring).

Changing the o-ring is really simple - drop the frame cross-bar, front differential (disconnect front propeller shaft, 4 small bolts) and then take off the oil pan. Two nuts and one small bolt to remove the oil-pickup tube and swap out the o-ring and re-assemble everything. You do have to take four bolts out of the steering rack to let it hand down so you can get more clearance to drop the oil pan out but nothing major and you don't have to actually take it off the car.

OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
2007's that didn't have Active Fuel Management don't have the screen according to what I've read (and witnessed with mine). Your low oil pressure sounds JUST like mine, it started off as a little noise at cold idle that would go away when warm and then eventually progressed over time to very LOUD tapping for about a minute until oil pressure could get up. I could get oil pressure up by revving the engine but it would submarine as soon as RPMS came back down. Then it was super loud and I started getting the low oil pressure warning (at that point I turned it off and proceeded to fix the o-ring).

Changing the o-ring is really simple - drop the frame cross-bar, front differential (disconnect front propeller shaft, 4 small bolts) and then take off the oil pan. Two nuts and one small bolt to remove the oil-pickup tube and swap out the o-ring and re-assemble everything. You do have to take four bolts out of the steering rack to let it hand down so you can get more clearance to drop the oil pan out but nothing major and you don't have to actually take it off the car.

How many hours am I looking at to do that?

Jagsta

Reaction score
How many hours am I looking at to do that?
Doing it yourself? Depends on how efficient and experienced you are. I'd say prob 5 hours of work start to finish (it took me about 6 because i'm slow and meticulous), hardest part was getting front diff in and out since I was on jack stands, I used a small transmission jack to put it back in which I don't think I could have done without. All DATA has the hours at 3.5 for the oil pan, the tube takes just a minute to get out, prob 15 minutes to take out and swap the o-ring - so say 4 hours by the book.

OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
Doing it yourself? Depends on how efficient and experienced you are. I'd say prob 5 hours of work start to finish (it took me about 6 because i'm slow and meticulous), hardest part was getting front diff in and out since I was on jack stands, I used a small transmission jack to put it back in which I don't think I could have done without. All DATA has the hours at 3.5 for the oil pan, the tube takes just a minute to get out, prob 15 minutes to take out and swap the o-ring - so say 4 hours by the book.
Glad you mentioned all data. A coworker of mine at Mercedes is going to do it for me if the sensor and oil filter ect don't do the trick.. before I dive into the oil pump. Thank you all so much for the help! I hope to hear common feedback on the issue I'm having like many others. Parts should be in tomorrow so I can get things rolling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700