low oil pressure in 08 denali 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas Mccarthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Low oil pressure on 08 6.2 with 260k - won't pass inspection- Will a bad o ring on dip stick tube contribute to this issue or is on the wrong side of the pressure equation?

what is the resistance range for the oil sensor ?

I replaced the pick up tube o ring on the pump 30k miles ago and it helped quite a bit- now it is is reading about 10 lbs and the sensor is functioning according to mechanic.

if i change to 10w 30 ( january in new york) is assume that this will help. any other ideas ???

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low oil pressure on 08 6.2 with 260k - won't pass inspection- Will a bad o ring on dip stick tube contribute to this issue or is on the wrong side of the pressure equation?

what is the resistance range for the oil sensor ?

I replaced the pick up tube o ring on the pump 30k miles ago and it helped quite a bit- now it is is reading about 10 lbs and the sensor is functioning according to mechanic.

if i change to 10w 30 ( january in new york) is assume that this will help. any other ideas ???

O-ring on dip stick tube has nothing to do with oil pressure, only leaking.

Start with the easy/cheap diagnostics first. First would be to verify the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. If it is, in fact, low- test the O-ring on the pickup tube by overfilling the oil by 2 quarts and driving down or backing up a steep incline to put the front into a nosedive and see if the pressure goes back up. There's a chance the O-ring replacement was botched and it just so happened to have held for 30K miles. Failing those, the other causes would be loose bearing clearances from wear or an internal leak(s). Internal leaks could be really bad valley cover O-rings, stuck pressure regulator in the oil pump, leaking barbell (not very likely but stuff happens and you do have 260K on it), etc.

Did the average pressures drop seemingly quickly or has there been a gradual decline?

Heavier oil will raise the pressure and might satisfy the inspectors. But it's not a fix. It will only mask the problem.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the 6.2's have the oil screen on the sensor?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If everything mentioned fails, switch to heavier weight oil.

I ran my 99 Silverado with 20W-50 when I had low oil pressure for like 2 years. It was enough to get me out of the "check gauges" message. Around 7-8 psi hot idle, from 5 psi with regular oil checked with a mechanical guage. Maybe got me on the first tick mark, but I understand DOD/AFM requires much higher pressures.

I don't remember anyone mentioning oil pressure on state inspections here though. What is the minimum there in you state?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the 6.2's have the oil screen on the sensor?

Not the ones without AFM. The blocks are the same whether they have AFM or not. Those with AFM have a VLOM and those without AFM have a valley cover with integrated tower seals. The oil pressure sensor screws into the cover or VLOM. The screen under it is to protect the components in the VLOM.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If everything mentioned fails, switch to heavier weight oil.

I ran my 99 Silverado with 20W-50 when I had low oil pressure for like 2 years. It was enough to get me out of the "check gauges" message. Around 7-8 psi hot idle, from 5 psi with regular oil checked with a mechanical guage. Maybe got me on the first tick mark, but I understand DOD/AFM requires much higher pressures.

I don't remember anyone mentioning oil pressure on state inspections here though. What is the minimum there in you state?

I'm guessing it's not the psi as much as the check engine light on they fail you for?

is anything done to this? like afm turned off or deleted? cause afm running on 10psi shouldn't last very long?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ar 260k I can say the valley cover o-rings are toast and yes, you will have LOP no matter what you do. Ran through this with my 2007 at about 210k. Leaked like a noodle strainer. 8 new o-rings and a cover gasket solved the issue. May want to look there if it's never been done

OP
OP
T

Thomas Mccarthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No vlom on this one - failure came from check engine light -

I will try overfilling and see what happens - good idea!

Is there one additive that is better than the others to try and swell those valley cover I rungs as a temp fix ?

Any guesses as to how long the breakdown and reassembly would take to replace the valley cover o rings ? Is there anything else that should be replaced in addition to the intake and valley cover gaskets while I have it apart ?

I'm guessing it's not the psi as much as the check engine light on they fail you for?

is anything done to this? like afm turned off or deleted? cause afm running on 10psi shouldn't last very long?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo