Lost key. Got New One Cut Now it gots the car with the lock only before starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoeking12345

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got a New key cut all of sudden truck started spitting spudering it was outta gas and I did crank it a couple times thinking it was enough gas days after won’t go over 3rpm turn off truck 3 times starts up stays strong for 10 mins then it’s like it holds it breath after new key made before start position it’s shows the symbol with a car and a lock pad but turns off when started any ideas

OP
OP
T

Tahoeking12345

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry - But What would be the cause of my 03 Tahoe to start spitting and spudering after new key was made. On the dash appears to be anti - theft symbol with a picture of a car with a lock, picture is shown when key is turned to on position. It does not stay on when started Doesn’t wanna go over 3000 rpms back fires etc. was not like this before I got this new key cutt cause I lost the original.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like this is going on:

The immobilizer or anti-theft system verifies that the key used to turn the engine on is the correct one. If the key is not the correct one, this system blocks different actions to prevent the car from starting.

Sounds like you are telling me you only had just one key to start with. Should have had 2 correct spare keys, one on the frame in a box somewhere, and a couple of fobs too. You lost the one good key and now you may need to have a dealer or qualified shop mate new keys to the vehicle. In short, you were asking for it with just one good key. Someone else may have a better answer for you.

OP
OP
T

Tahoeking12345

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No. The problem was not there with the old key. With the new key you have the problem. I explained in my last response.
There is no longer 2 keys. Both was on same ring (stupidity on my part)
Do think there is a fuel problem? The Day the key was made she was outta gas. It should of cranked though still had 20 miles or so on her I supposed, could be wrong i should try a dealer. The guy that did the key said to unhook battery when I called yesterday jus haven’t had time cause of work.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the new I got made is correct key?
turn the key to "run" position, let it sit for 10 minutes and 30 seconds, until security light goes out, then turn key off let it sit for 1 minute, then start the truck.
if that doesn't work then repeat the process 3x times with only a short off pause instead of 1 minute.

the above process is a re-learn if security is on / flashing (security protocal)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz