Loose steering feel, lower steering shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Truestyle Scott
Reaction score
was yours U shaped on both sides? Looking at pictures online it looks like some are and some are not. Mine is U shaped on both sides and that 1" that i measured was the thickness inside that U shape. Mine was probably a mr gasket as well.

Any difference in steering feel? My rack rattled pretty bad but to move it by hand was pretty tough, so you said yours didnt move but it mightve if you shook it hard enough. Or when you unbolted that passenger side, was that mount pretty loose? Mine was super loose.

Well anyway, it added support for the rack so you should be good as far as that goes. For me, its pothole season so my steering is getting worked over and is still solid.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Yes my steering is firm now. I didn't check the mount when I loosened the passenger side bolts. But as an extra measure it can only help with this booster in. Yes the booster was u-shaped and barely budging when trying to straighten out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm battling the same symptoms as you, everything new under the front end other than inner tie rod ends and lower control arm bushings. I'm starting to wonder if it is the steering rack itself that might need replacement at 74K miles.

The rack is about the only thing left that I can see that could be the issue. I'm not sure if there is an adjustment on them like on the previously used gearbox.

Well I changed the rack last week and that tightened me up to what I expect the steering response to be.

When I removed the stock rack I couldn't tell that anything was wrong with the bushings, if there was it wasn't apparent. I'm starting to think the rack itself was worn out.

About $240 from Advance Auto, apply 20% coupon, and $120 core. Not too bad and the AA Cardone brand is a lifetime warranty, hopefully I won't have to use it again as it's a bit of a PITA and need an alignment afterward.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how that spring spacer works down the road. I'm thinking that might put some side load on the tube the rack runs through, possibly causing issues later on. Hopefully the tube is stout enough to handle some side loads. Many are not.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this spring spacer thingy and where does it go?

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a great find. I have been looking for that for some time. The spring spacer didn't work for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk