Looking to get into a Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy305

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking to get into a NBS Tahoe or Yukon for a practical winter and daily beater vehicle. I've never owned one so I'm not quite sure what to look for when buying one. Could any of you give me some pointers?

My budget is $5k so I know I'll be looking at a high mileage one but that doesn't scare me.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

OP
OP
C

Chevy305

Reaction score
So no one can give me advice on common problems with these trucks?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mattvand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a $5k budget, any NBS you find will most likely have the problems you'd associate with any high-mileage vehicle regardless of manufacturer or model.
Front end, suspension, rust, brakes, bushings, electrical gremlins, drive train issues, oil seals, gaskets, etc...

As far as Tahoes and Yukons are concerned, I'd look for evidence of heavy towing or snow pushing as those activities will be sure to have stressed the transmission on a high mileage vehicle. The tranny will be the most expensive of the 'common' repairs you'd face.

Check to see if there is coolant loss with no visible leaks, this may indicate that the heads are the dreaded Castech heads that are known to crack and let coolant into the engine. If the dealer or private seller hasn't recently changed the oil, ask to have it done while you are present and observe the color of the oil. If it is orange-ish, run away from that particular vehicle. This will ultimately lead to a new motor having to be put in if the problem hasn't been taken care of.

There may be other issues more common to the NBS, but those tend to be the most costly.

Hope this helps.

erikrichard

Reaction score
You'll be lucky to find any to look at for that money, much less have the luxury of being picky enough to worry about "things to look for."
You'd be better off looking at previous gen tahoes imo.

OP
OP
C

Chevy305

Reaction score
You'll be lucky to find any to look at for that money, much less have the luxury of being picky enough to worry about "things to look for."
You'd be better off looking at previous gen tahoes imo.

On craigslist I can find nbs tahoes all day for $5k or less. I could find the obs for less but I don't like how it looks and I really want an LS based engine.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

erikrichard

Reaction score
What area are you in? The Denver CL doesn't have squat at $5k - a few with 200k+ and 2wd maybe. Have you test driven or looked at any at that price? you don't need any special Tahoe knowledge, if it looks drives and runs good buy it.

OP
OP
C

Chevy305

Reaction score
What area are you in? The Denver CL doesn't have squat at $5k - a few with 200k+ and 2wd maybe. Have you test driven or looked at any at that price? you don't need any special Tahoe knowledge, if it looks drives and runs good buy it.

I'm in southeastern Massachusetts.

Ya I test drove an '01 at a used car dealer listed for $4995 with 200k miles. The trans seemed to slam on the 1-2 shift when it was cold (it smoothed out when it was warm) and the steering had a little play and brake pedal felt spongy but still stopped fine. The brake fluid was clean and the trans fluid didn't smell burnt but it wasn't real clean. The interior was in near perfect shape and the paint looked good too. I want to keep shopping around though as there are sooo many for sale out there which is why they can be had far less than book value. Anything at book value sits for weeks or months because there are so many better deals out there.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

erikrichard

Reaction score
What you describe is basically what you can buy here for that money. If you could throw another grand at it you would be off the basement floor and into a halfway decent one. There are a fuckton out there, but very few are being given away that cheap. On the other hand, $5k would buy a totally decent, relatively low mile late '90s truck. Anyway, good luck with the hunt.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest you choose the one with the cleanest body. As little rust as possible. Your going to have repairs. I think its best to repair the cleanest looking truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
I bought our 2002 just at 2 months ago in Houston area for $6400 with TTL. But they wanted $10K I told them six Cash they said no way I walked out got in my Tahoe and started to drive off, I didn't make it off the lot. They came running and told me $6400 with TTL. I said ok. The outside was near perfect. The interior was pretty dam nice too. No third row but hey my wife wanted a barn door Tahoe. I made them change oil in front of me, drop then trans pan and I checked for metal shavings, and a compression check on all cylinders. ( now they drained the tranny fluid and put the same back in.) but my wife's had 142K miles when we bought it. So if you can pony up extra grand it makes a world of difference. I had ten to work with. But I got 20" wheels and 275/55-R20 tires for $1064 from discount tire, new depo headlights and marker lights off eBay $120 with free shipping, HIDs from DDMtuning $80.00 , a flow master muffler $175 with pipes and tips, a Z-71 painted grill, limo tint, AFE CAI, And a DD navi radio. Still have some of the $10200 after buying the Tahoe and doing all of the mods. You get the idea.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dukk