Bringing a Tahoe to Germany/EU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone brought a Tahoe to Europe-EU and been able to register it there? I was considering bringing our Tahoe to Germany (as a civilian residing there, non-US Armed Forces). I see that there are about ten Tahoes listed for sale on line in Bavaria. Does anyone know what's involved in getting a late model 2021 American car like the Tahoe into Germany and registered there? Chevrolet appears only to be selling Corvettes in Germany. Bringing an American car to Europe or a European car to America used to be a hassle where one would have to make expensive modifications. The cars seem to me to be more or less the same now - correct me.

I thought American diesel pollution control is more strict than European - there was some controversy in the EU about diesels. It looked bad for a while, but they appear to be abandoning the idea of a diesel ban and an EV mandate.)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone brought a Tahoe to Europe-EU and been able to register it there? I was considering bringing our Tahoe to Germany (as a civilian residing there, non-US Armed Forces). I see that there are about ten Tahoes listed for sale on line in Bavaria. Does anyone know what's involved in getting a late model 2021 American car like the Tahoe into Germany and registered there? Chevrolet appears only to be selling Corvettes in Germany. Bringing an American car to Europe or a European car to America used to be a hassle where one would have to make expensive modifications. The cars seem to me to be more or less the same now - correct me.

I thought American diesel pollution control is more strict than European - there was some controversy in the EU about diesels. It looked bad for a while, but they appear to be abandoning the idea of a diesel ban and an EV mandate.)
I will take a stab and say you should probably reach out to customs and I am sure they can point you in the right direction to what documentation and FEE's are involved I am sure they want a nice chunk of your money in the process.

OP
OP
CTown Duramax

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea. I just looked it up in the TUV website. Hmm. Need certificate of title and certificate of origin. It says most post 1983 American cars will get pollution control certification, except that certain American pickups and minivans have lower pollution control standards. Then there's an actual pollution control test simulating in town and out of town cycles. This will determine whether the car can be registered at all and, if so, what amount of tax to impose. Intake and exhaust systems must pass a noise volume test. There is another more specific note saying that not all American cars have more rigorous anti-pollution systems than European cars, particularly light trucks and mini vans. (I guess this could include Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade.) There's another note about towing capacity and that US specifications are not compliant with EU and that this too will require expensive testing. Tires may need to be replaced depending on speed rating, specifically mentioning "M/S" as not allowable.

Here's the TUV- SUD web page, looks like in German only:

So it would be great to hear from someone who's gotten a Tahoe (especially a Tahoe diesel) through TUV.

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you own outright or have a loan? If a loan, will the lender agree to you taking it to where they can't repo if needed?

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea. I just looked it up in the TUV website. Hmm. Need certificate of title and certificate of origin. It says most post 1983 American cars will get pollution control certification, except that certain American pickups and minivans have lower pollution control standards. Then there's an actual pollution control test simulating in town and out of town cycles. This will determine whether the car can be registered at all and, if so, what amount of tax to impose. Intake and exhaust systems must pass a noise volume test. There is another more specific note saying that not all American cars have more rigorous anti-pollution systems than European cars, particularly light trucks and mini vans. (I guess this could include Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade.) There's another note about towing capacity and that US specifications are not compliant with EU and that this too will require expensive testing. Tires may need to be replaced depending on speed rating, specifically mentioning "M/S" as not allowable.

Here's the TUV- SUD web page, looks like in German only:

So it would be great to hear from someone who's gotten a Tahoe (especially a Tahoe diesel) through TUV.
ya they changed the tire ratings to having to have *mountains, like 3 mountains, versus m/s specfication, I believe they are mostly doing the same here as far producing them as such anyway, not as a requirement yet that I am aware of. the stock exhaust is likely fine but if it is aftermarket you might be muffler shopping.
I think the trick here is going to mostly be sure it is a stock vehicle and the tires are right, maybe choose a CA authorized vehicle and not a Federal or canadian
it's going to be in your favor to do all the research first and ask questions with customs that should make it a seemless transaction, although I have heard it still can take time for the whole process to happen even if everything passes.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would turn to intermediaries in Germany or the USA who can bring you the car. In Russia, we bring cars from the USA, including through Europe, without any problems. There is another option, it is simpler, this is buying a car in the UAE. There are also official GM dealers there and you can buy any of their cars, and the registration will be easier than buying in the USA.

but there is a very important nuance from the point of view of the European driver. These cars have an American dashboard. This means that their consumption will be Miles per Gallon. And even if you convert the units of measurement to Kilometers, you will get Kilometers to Liters. There are two options here: buying a Canadian car (but not in Canada, because it is very difficult to buy it for export in Canada), and buying a Canadian car in the USA, for example. Or contact programmers who will add a European dashboard to the Car system.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know i can convert my dash to metric within the dash info pages. It changes the spedometer, odometer, and fuel range average fuel economy as well. Basic LS model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz