List of suspension parts I'm installing this weekend.. Did I forget anything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97WhiteYukon

Reaction score
MORE suspension parts I'm installing... Did I forget anything?

Hi guys, so I think I got everything I need, Im going to be working on the truck starting tomorrow and hopefully finishing everything on sunday, but Ill be taking my time. Heres the list of parts.

Moog upper and lower ball joints for both sides
Moog inner and outer tie rods for both sides
Energy bushing kit that includes body mounts, control arms and leaf spring bushings
Energy tranny mount
Bilstein shocks
bell tech front and rear sway bars
skyjacker torsion keys

Im also going to order the new trailer hitch tomorrow when I get paid, and knowing summit I might have that to install this weekend too. What are your guys thoughts? Anything I should tackle while Im in there? Also if you guys know of any good writeups about how to intall this stuff it might help, looking at you tube it mostly seems straight forward. Im planning on just taking the control arms off and having the bushings and ball joints taken out by a shop. The price a few have quoted me is about $200.

Last edited:
OP
OP
97WhiteYukon

97WhiteYukon

Reaction score
So I took the control arms to a shop to have the bushings and balljoints taken out, and new ones pressed in. Well I got quoted about 200 dollars from 3 different shops. Well not being familiar with any of them, I rolled the dice and picked the first one who said they could do it on a Saturday. Dropped them off at 12 said they would be ready by 330. Went back, wasn't ready, told me 4:30. Went back wasn't ready. He says I'm not the only customer and he underestimated the job. The guy knew i was pissed but damn I got my truck in the driveway waiting to be put back together. I gave the guy my number and said call me when it's ready, but my phone died and I could charge it so I went back at 6. I see a guy putting my control arms away for the day and was laughing as he said not today tomorrow. I told them I was done and said I was taking them, grabbed them but he said ok 7 for sure, and in my desperation I said ok 7 but if they aren't done I'm taking them and not paying a dime. I called them and they were done finally. I've never done a job like that but I feel like I could have done it myself in that time. That's why I took it to them to save the time. So here I am bitching and moaning hopefully I can get it all together tomorrow. The damn swaybars I got don't for but that's another fun story.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's crazy. 3.5 hrs turned in to 7...

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ball joints are a pain , unless you have a air hammer then they come out fairly easy . but with just a hammer and socket you can forget it

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't fret you would have needed a press to get them out and in clean. They just took advantage. Allot of shops just don't care about the service they give.

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I bought a little press. I have a ball joint puller as well but the press is so much easyer lol. Only took me with my press about 30 mins to do. I hate shops!

OP
OP
97WhiteYukon

97WhiteYukon

Reaction score
Yeah, I found out after it was too late that a friend of mine had an air chisel I could have borrowed. I just figured I would save time, and everywhere quoted 2-3 hours. If its too much to do in that time, just be honest. The reason why I took it there is they said they could do it in that afternoon. I think those mechanics are used to telling people its not ready and most of them probably just accept it. Im not a mechanic but Im not completley clueless. I should have walked away at first when I saw the guy didnt seem like he really cared, like he just wanted to talk to his buddy that just showed up, but I was in a crunch. But luckily I was able to finish it up last night, and make the new front sway bar fit too. I am having second thoughts about the poly body bushings though, its a little too stiff and everything rattles more.

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the poly bushings I have heard that everything needs to be switched over to it or you will get rattles. 2 different types of damping. I lucked out with the shop I use. They know that when I drop mine off I got all the parts for them to put on and I leave a case of beer in the back ;)

OP
OP
97WhiteYukon

97WhiteYukon

Reaction score
All of them? I have poly on the control arms, body, tranny and leaf springs. You mean every single one? Motor mounts and whatever other ones I cant think of?

OP
OP
97WhiteYukon

97WhiteYukon

Reaction score
MORE front suspension parts I need

Hey guys so its been a few days and everything seems good. Adjusted the wheel gap where I wanted it, got an alignment, but of course there is always more. I got the alignment and the guy said I should probably replace my pitman and idler arm soon. The steering doesn't feel as tight as it should, and I did the tire shake test and can see the play in the center link. So here is a new list of things, hopefully the last list of front end parts for a while.

Moog pitman arm PN:K6335
Moog idler arm PN:K6447
Moog idler arm bracket PN:K6722
Moog center link PN: DS1407
AC Delco steering gear box PN:0517567
KYB steering stabilizer PN:SS15326

Those are all part numbers on summit, except the steering gear box. I think they should all fit my 97 2 door 4wd Yukon, but please tell me if you think otherwise. Also Im not set on the steering gear box, but I cant find anything about people using any other brand for my model year, you know with the evo sensor. Does any one have that part number by the way? I will probably do that a little later after all this stuff. And Im not sure I need the center link, but its somewhat cheap and everything else is moog and I just want to fit in. I had someone help me with the tie rods though, will I need to pry them out of the old center link? They are brand new right now and I don't want to break them. as long as it can be done without messing them up Ill get the new center link. Thanks for reading my long ass posts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts