Lifter ticking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ATF method is scary cuz ATF doesn't have enough film strength or viscosity to prevent metal to metal engine wear. Seafoam contents is 50% pale oil (lube) 30% Naphtha (mild cleaning solution) and 20% Isopropyl alcohol (removes water) So I'm not so sure why its used as an engine cleaner. Maybe a good thing for the gas in my snowblower, lawnmower, or a boat. Something without a cat. MMo is similar to seafoam, but it doesn't have the IPA. It also has a fresh wintergreen smell lol. If MMO is "working" in the engine quieting ticks, that tells you it could be a flow issue. Because MMO thins the oil. But, like Seafoam, it uses Naphtha as the cleaning solution, which is very mild. Going thicker will lessen oil consumption but make ticks worse. Because thicker oil = Less flow. Thats potentially the problem. Flow.

Are the lifters loose? maybe.

Did you lose an exhaust manifold bolt? Maybe. I did.

Go ahead with your syn oil change for a few changes. See if it gets better. What brand?

I am missing manifold bolts but my mechanic told me this was definitely a lifter. Where do I get MMO?

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MMO is everywhere. You have a walmart near you? Its there. Along with any oil you can imagine. Walmart is the cheapest place for oil. I would put MMO in and run for a while before doing the syn change. Don't put that in the fresh oil, always use it near the end before change

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are missing exhaust manifold bolts, you are gonna get separation. And no doubt that sounded like a tick.. For me anyways. I used an aftermarket clamp they sell for the issue on Amazon. Much quieter.

Yukon2000xl

Reaction score
I had that on startup / random cruising & highway .So far this seems to have worked (seafoam to clean the buildup out) when I changed the oil I added a Lucas oil lifter additive and fingers crossed the noise has not come back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the oil changed. I added some lifter stuff I bought at advanced and ran it about an hour or so before changing the oil. The oil that came out was gross. Absolutely disgusting. I changed the filter and added 6 quarts of Valvoline 5w-20 that's dexos approved blah blah blah. Anyway when I started it to check my oil pressure it was at 40 psi at idle. I never remember it being about 20 at idle since I've owned it. At about 2k RPMs (cruising rpm) it was at 60 psi. I've NEVER saw my oil pressure above 40,EVER! I'd say this kind of jump in psi is a good thing and will keep the lifters quiet. If not I'll order some lifter stuff from Lucas and give that a go.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marvin`s Mystery Oil..have u looked for exhaust leaks? It will tick when going down the highway under load.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Makes since but the tick continues while not under load too.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the oil changed. I added some lifter stuff I bought at advanced and ran it about an hour or so before changing the oil. The oil that came out was gross. Absolutely disgusting. I changed the filter and added 6 quarts of Valvoline 5w-20 that's dexos approved blah blah blah. Anyway when I started it to check my oil pressure it was at 40 psi at idle. I never remember it being about 20 at idle since I've owned it. At about 2k RPMs (cruising rpm) it was at 60 psi. I've NEVER saw my oil pressure above 40,EVER! I'd say this kind of jump in psi is a good thing and will keep the lifters quiet. If not I'll order some lifter stuff from Lucas and give that a go.

There will be more crud coming out and getting caught by the new filter. Watch the oil pressure because it will probably drop a little in a few weeks. When it does, just change the filter again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz