Lifter ticking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It starts ticking when cruising on the highway. It comes and goes. Any tricks? In wanting to do a 6.0 swap but I was hoping to get that done in spring.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your oil pressure? I had a plugged oil filter just a couple of months after my oil change. So be on the safe side you could try replacing it.
This was after a switch to synthetic. A trip up to Kamloops pulling a trailer cleaned more out.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your oil pressure? I had a plugged oil filter just a couple of months after my oil change. So be on the safe side you could try replacing it.
This was after a switch to synthetic. A trip up to Kamloops pulling a trailer cleaned more out.

Oil pressure is about 35 cruising at 70. I'm going to not put synthetic oil this oil change. I'm convinced it's sludge in there plugging it up after doing some reading. Changing a lifter means the heads have to come off. I just don't think it's worth the investment.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Others have added a quart of transmission fluid to the engine oil which contains detergents. Whether you use that or Seafoam, get a couple of oil filters to swap in every few days. If it is sludge, it may plug up your filter.

Windwalker

Reaction score
It starts ticking when cruising on the highway. It comes and goes. Any tricks? In wanting to do a 6.0 swap but I was hoping to get that done in spring.
For my application I done the seafoam method and then I switched to 10w30 and a quart of MMO and it has quieted it down after I say at least 10 oil changes. I didn't wanna do the whole transmission fluid thing so I done MMO.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my application I done the seafoam method and then I switched to 10w30 and a quart of MMO and it has quieted it down after I say at least 10 oil changes. I didn't wanna do the whole transmission fluid thing so I done MMO.

What's the MMO? I thought about thicker oil

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ATF method is scary cuz ATF doesn't have enough film strength or viscosity to prevent metal to metal engine wear. Seafoam contents is 50% pale oil (lube) 30% Naphtha (mild cleaning solution) and 20% Isopropyl alcohol (removes water) So I'm not so sure why its used as an engine cleaner. Maybe a good thing for the gas in my snowblower, lawnmower, or a boat. Something without a cat. MMo is similar to seafoam, but it doesn't have the IPA. It also has a fresh wintergreen smell lol. If MMO is "working" in the engine quieting ticks, that tells you it could be a flow issue. Because MMO thins the oil. But, like Seafoam, it uses Naphtha as the cleaning solution, which is very mild. Going thicker will lessen oil consumption but make ticks worse. Because thicker oil = Less flow. Thats potentially the problem. Flow.

Are the lifters loose? maybe.

Did you lose an exhaust manifold bolt? Maybe. I did.

Go ahead with your syn oil change for a few changes. See if it gets better. What brand?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01