Introduction & Current 05 Yukon XL Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Plasti-Dipped the GMC badge a few days ago. Really happy with how it turned out. In my opinion it's a cleaner look, and makes the chrome pop. Trying to decide if I want to leave it flat black or make it glossy... Also, I'm tinting the windows tomorrow morning.

View media item 25936
View media item 25937
I think it would look better if the chrome part around the GMC was still there, otherwise it just kind of disappears into the black grill.

OP
OP
WA7S0N

WA7S0N

Reaction score
I think it would look better if the chrome part around the GMC was still there, otherwise it just kind of disappears into the black grill.

Part of me likes the idea of the way it is completely blacked out, and the other part likes the idea of the black with chrome. I may try to redo it the other way just to see. It literally took like 20 minutes, so it's not like I've put a lot of time into it.

I was going to leave the chrome, but I didn't think I could peel the outside off without messing up the whole thing. It's not something you could easily tape off either because its so small and curves around it. It could be done, sure... but It'd take quite a bit more prep time.

OP
OP
WA7S0N

WA7S0N

Reaction score
Just an update... I installed tow mirrors (with the led signals, power, and defrost) so I had better visibility while towing, backing up, and just driving in general. It's improved my visibility so much it's crazy.

Also, I fixed several common problems that these things have. first thing was the rear heat/ac not blowing out the vents. I did some searching of the forum and found people talking about how the orange wire (in the harness under the parking brake) burns up where it connects to the harness, and causes it to lose connection. Turns out the forum was right and this was my exact problem. I cut the wire from both sides of the harness and wired them together. I now have working heat/ac in the back. Such an easy fix.

The other issue I was having is that while my headlights were on, everything was getting power. My rear wiper ran non-stop, both my high and low beams ran, both the turn signal lights were lit up on the cluster, and whenever I used my turn signals, both sides flashed. This turned out to be a loose ground under the front bumper. I tightened it up and no more issues.

I also replaced my stock muffler with a Flowmaster Super 40 (3inch single in/single out) and put on a 3 1/2inch chrome slash tip. Sounds great. I wanted to go dual, but we take a lot of road trips and I didn't want the drone at highway speeds to be overwhelming. Turns out the single exhaust sounds great and has minimal drone...

I'm posting pics of the tow mirrors and of the wiring harness (in case anyone is experiencing this issue).

View media item 26201
View media item 26202
View media item 26203

OP
OP
WA7S0N

WA7S0N

Reaction score
I will post the sound-clip of the exhaust when I have time. In the coming months I'll be replacing the stock wheels and tires. I'm going with 20inch GMC Snowflake wheels. Not sure on the tires yet... BFG K02's or Nitto Grapplers probably.

I also realized my Autoride system is shot. Shocks are blown (shredded looking actually lol) and the compressor is burnt out. I'm going to do an Autoride delete and replace with passive shocks (Bilsteins).

LED's are in the works for the Fogs, DRLs, and Parking lights. And I'm replacing the highs/lows with Osram Night-Breaker Unlimited bulbs.

I actually have all the bulbs and plan on swapping everything out this weekend. I'll try to get picks of it all. It'll probably be March before I swap out the shocks, but I'll try to take pics of that stuff too.

Here's the wheels:

View media item 26204

OP
OP
WA7S0N

WA7S0N

Reaction score
Truck looks great. Those are nice rims too.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to getting those rims too. I wanted to go aftermarket, but I felt like these GMC's would be a nice touch. Also I'd still get that aggressive look that I'm going for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas