Insurance for our trucks/cars in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lew Schiller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't ask people who have coverage with a particular company - ask people who have had a claim.
I have State Farm with an agent I've worked with since 1991.
My van was stolen in Mid January - which is why I now have a Yukon.
I stuck with SF because I believed I had good coverage and an agent who could go to bat for me if I ever had a claim.
Yeah....no.
Apparently agents were enjoined from getting involved in the claims process some time in 2016. So when I called my agent from a hotel room in Dallas - 800 miles from home - one of his office people said "Oh that's a shame" and immediately transferred me to "Claims". There I basically received no help at all. Essentially it was "Give us the police report number and call us back after 20 days has elapsed". Communication with claims was atrocious. I might as well be dealing with Flo.
Interim Vehicle coverage was $25/day up to $750. Well I lost a van and was sitting there with my trailer so a $25 Hyundai Sonata wasn't what I needed. Over the course of this ordeal I paid over $1,500 for U-Haul Rental Trucks to move my trailer. I've been reimbursed $337....$25/day.

I finally received a settlement for the van last Tuesday. The contents are covered under Home Owners - which has a deductible of 1/2 of 1% of the policy value. So just over $2,000. I lost around $2,500 in personals - but - if you file the claim you get a Claim Ding. Get another and they drop you. So the "Smart Move" is not to file especially if you don't have photos and / or receipts for everthing you're claiming as it appeared in the vehicle.

Insurance - peace of mind..until you go to collect.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lmao yall crazy. migh be a dumb question...but how do i insure the insurance will pay me whatever the car is worth if is totaled? specific option or? my uncle had a jeep cherokee he totaled he had esurance they gave him money for the truck since it cost more to repair than it was worth. leas that is how i remember it.

Lew Schiller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Look for Declared Value coverage. basically you and your insurer are agreeing on the value of the vehicle should it be a total loss before it happens rather than after.