High school student and new to trucks and cars in general.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zaitrippin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. I'm from Oklahoma and received a 2005 Yukon SLT as a first car. I got into cars and recently trucks just within the past year or two and am very new to these things. Thought i'd join this as it's been alot of help at answering questions i had.

Only thing i've done to my truck is removed the broken window deflectors and removed the running boards. Also added new window wipers to the front and back.

I'm wanting to keep the paint color that's on it and go for a lifted and aggressive look. Most likely going to go with the main paint job and everything else black.

One of the things i want to do before adding anything crazy is inspect the truck and make sure everything is good on it. Anyone have any tips as to how i can go about doing so? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6184.jpeg
    IMG_6184.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6183.jpeg
    IMG_6183.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6182.jpeg
    IMG_6182.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 8

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

That color is Silver Birch Metallic. Black accents all around would look good. IMO, I would not lift it because when you do, you put way more stress on all related parts. Do as you please though. I personally like the Traditional Tune that @BlackBearPerf, in the preceding post, did for my 2005 Z71, same color. My truck now has that seat of the pants aggressive accel and transmission shifting and with the added on Hellwig Performance sway bar kits, front and rear, handles like crazy.

If you are in the salt on roads area, do all you can to protect the under carriage. IMO, the 2000 to 2006 NBS years are the best to have. Lots of them here.

If you are new enough to the mechanics aspect of taking care of your truck, have a qualified tech look it all over and if can, get him/her to show you what they find as they go along the inspection. A thorough inspection can take as long as up to 2 hours.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm from Oklahoma and received a 2005 Yukon SLT as a first car. I got into cars and recently trucks just within the past year or two and am very new to these things. Thought i'd join this as it's been alot of help at answering questions i had.

Only thing i've done to my truck is removed the broken window deflectors and removed the running boards. Also added new window wipers to the front and back.

I'm wanting to keep the paint color that's on it and go for a lifted and aggressive look. Most likely going to go with the main paint job and everything else black.

One of the things i want to do before adding anything crazy is inspect the truck and make sure everything is good on it. Anyone have any tips as to how i can go about doing so? Thanks!

Looks good! You're fortunate to have received such a nice ride as your first. I'm impressed that your first plan of action is to make sure it's up to par before diving into the mods. I don't recall any teen with their first car asking about this, but how many subs and how big of wheels can they fit, etc. Then you see a kid on the side of the road with big wheels and a squat from the sound system, Skar and Punisher and IG handle stickers on every window, broken down from worn and failed powertrain, drivetrain, suspension or steering components.

Fortunately, this generation is arguably the most reliable of GM's trucks. The LS engine is relatively simple in design and easy, clean and cheap to work on. You've also found a forum where you can be walked through damned-near anything on your Yukon.

To start:

1. How many miles are on it?

2. Know any of its owner or maintenance history?

3. Any warning lights on the dash?

4. Any gauges reporting anything concerning?

5. Anything that doesn't work or works improperly?

6. Does it make any seemingly odd sounds?

7. Any concerning suspension or steering feels?

8. Suspension noises?

9. How do the brakes and the brake pedal feel?

10. How's the transmission's operation?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo