Instructions to remove trim from B-pillar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DWTahoe

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree... thought it was metal as well and thought that seat belt guide was the culprit. There's literally nothing else to check. But again... I have the two bolts in the handle loosened and I don't have the rattle anymore.

I certainly can't argue with what works, and I'll definitely keep it in mind if mines starts doing it again. Honestly tons of stuff rattle in my Tahoe.... the rear hatch and the second row buckets when I go over most bumps without anybody sitting in them. But that little rattle right next to my ear drives me fricken nuts.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
Okay so an update. My service rep called me yesterday and asked me to try something the next time the rattle occurs. Take a towel and stick between the front portion of the rear door and b-pillar (both driver and passenger) and close the door and see if the rattling stops. As it turns out... it did stop the rattling completely. Apparently they have had another person with the same issue and finally got it narrowed down. The replaced the hinges. I'm going to have a little more discussion on this topic as I'm not really keen on replacing the hinges when it seems they could simply adjust the existing hinges/striker, replace seal, etc. Unless the hinges are redesigned I'm not sure what would be different than the current.

Any rate... wanted to share this update. As always, I'll keep y'all posted. Also, apologies for technically jacking this thread.

pyemo2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I owned a 2016 Sierra Denali. Did the same exact thing. Of course dealer never hears anything. Amongst other noises. Traded it in just a week ago with 46500 miles after 18 months. Bought a 2017 Sierra Denali. I thought maybe they fixed the issue. Drove it for like two days and when I heard that noise I couldn’t believe it. This is apparently a contant issue.

Have not bother taking it to the dealer. I took apart the trim and I’m trying to pinpoint the noise. I put felt on the seat belt guide since that’s metal on metal but apparently that’s not it. Noise came back. Gonna stick foam inside the cavity to see if the noise Is from the bottom it will be completely muffled. Trying anything at this point.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
Sorry for not following up. So it was in fact how the b-pillar trim was contacting the rubber surround seal. When the door was closed, you heard the vibration on hot days on rough streets. The door vibrations were causing the "itching" ticking noise. The dealer basically put a spacer in where the grip handle bolts screwed in allowing for a slight gap in the trim so it doesnt rub on the rubber surround seal. I no longer have the noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts