Instructions to remove trim from B-pillar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
Sounds like your exterior trim pieces are starting to come loose. Check these threads all started with a rattle sound behind the seat belt.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/heads-up-black-plastic-door-trim-falls-off.73979/
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2015-suburban-exterior-pillar-covers-popping-off.71188/
I checked them all and they appear to be tight. Not ruling them out but I don't think that's it. I'm leaning more to it being something with the weather stripping and how it touches the interior pillar trim. It only does it when it's sat in the sun/heat. Also, if you loosen the two bolts in the grip handle it's stops the itching/rattle noise. As soon as you tighten them it comes back.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
After closer inspection... you may be right on those trim pieces. Mine are tight and not flapping but there are a couple locations on them where you can push lightly on them and replicate thr tapping noise. Guess I'll have to take it back in and see if they'll replace them. I'll keep you all posted.

Gilmore

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any instructions to remove the interior trim from the B pillars. Specifically I'm tracking down a rattle that appears to be behind the driver seat belt on the b-pillar. It sounds like metal on metal very small when I hit bumps or rough pavement with every bounce.

I have put pressure on the seat belt, the trim on top of the door, the outside black pieces, basically everything I've read about and nothing stops it. I can actually put my ear almost directly on the panel while I'm driving so I'm pretty sure it's behind there.

If any body knows how to get back there I'd appreciate any insight. I'd take it to the dealer but I'm afraid it will come back worse than it is now.

Thanks.
~DW

Just removed the B-Pillar trim. I've been having the same noise you describe. i believe this seat belt guide is the issue as its loose. Held in by a cheap plastic pin.

IMG_9258.JPG

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
Just removed the B-Pillar trim. I've been having the same noise you describe. i believe this seat belt guide is the issue as its loose. Held in by a cheap plastic pin.

View attachment 180307
I thought so as well but it's not. I secured it with a bolt, put felt tapebehind it and the rattle still exists. If I keep the two bolts loose in the handle grip... it doesn't rattle.

Gilmore

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought so as well but it's not. I secured it with a bolt, put felt tapebehind it and the rattle still exists. If I keep the two bolts loose in the handle grip... it doesn't rattle.

Well darn, thought I was brilliant for about 2 minutes. I'm going to secure this bracket and see if that helps mine. I also think it could be a rattle in the height adjustment mechanism itself as I can also approximate the sound on that part as well. I will also try the handle screws and see if that works. I've had the vehicle in 5 times with no luck. Dealer has replaced the outer trim pieces to no avail. I've given up on the professionals. At some point I'm just going to get something else. Its literally driving me crazy. Its a shame too because otherwise I really like the vehicle.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
Well darn, thought I was brilliant for about 2 minutes. I'm going to secure this bracket and see if that helps mine. I also think it could be a rattle in the height adjustment mechanism itself as I can also approximate the sound on that part as well. I will also try the handle screws and see if that works. I've had the vehicle in 5 times with no luck. Dealer has replaced the outer trim pieces to no avail. I've given up on the professionals. At some point I'm just going to get something else. Its literally driving me crazy. Its a shame too because otherwise I really like the vehicle.
I've given up on mine. Had it in several times to the dealer as well to no avail. I have secured the seat belt adjuster mechanism as well with felt tape as well as every other imaginable piece.

Can you test something? Reattach the pillar and don't tighten the two bolts in the grab handle... or leave them out. When I did this the noise never occurs. Also, the only time I ever hear the noise is after the vehicle has sat in the heat for some time... like sitting at the office all day in the heat. When I'd leave to drive home it would rattle and drive me crazy.

I almost think it's the inside of the rubber door seal trim "itching" on the interior pillar trim piece.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you drive it with the trim panel off and have someone ride with you and try to pin point the noise?

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
Could you drive it with the trim panel off and have someone ride with you and try to pin point the noise?
Both the dealer and I can hear it and it's clearly coming from the pillar area just behind where the belt adjuster is. If you reach back and pull on the grab handle it stops. The dealer has even replaced the pillar trim. It happens on both driver and passenger sides... only when it's hot outside and been sitting in the heat. That's what's leading me to believe it's somethimg with how the pillar trim rests on the inside of the door seal surround.

Here's a video of the rattle/ticking...

https://goo.gl/photos/K5BCTsSXvDbgpV7F6

OP
OP
DWTahoe

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just in there yesterday too. Mine was definitely the seat belt guide with the cheap plastic push clip. I didn't pull the whole b-pillar off, so i just insulated the bracket. If it starts making noise again I'll have to pull the whole thing and bolt that piece in place. The sound from that clip usually sounds like metal on metal, anything else is probably what others describe with the outside trim or something else.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
I was just in there yesterday too. Mine was definitely the seat belt guide with the cheap plastic push clip. I didn't pull the whole b-pillar off, so i just insulated the bracket. If it starts making noise again I'll have to pull the whole thing and bolt that piece in place. The sound from that clip usually sounds like metal on metal, anything else is probably what others describe with the outside trim or something else.
I agree... thought it was metal as well and thought that seat belt guide was the culprit. There's literally nothing else to check. But again... I have the two bolts in the handle loosened and I don't have the rattle anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont