Increasing key fob range?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new key fob last year and over time, it seems the range has gone down. I just replaced the battery but still that range sucks.

I feel like at one point the range was better? Any tips or tricks, or even something I can buy to help this?!? Besides getting an after market system installed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can either put in a new battery or just hold it under your chin or just in front of your mouth when clicking, the human skull will amplify the signal a little bit (true story), nothing else I know of you could do other than to use GM/onstar app, or just put in a viper system, mine has a 1 mile range and phone app for worldwide use

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the internal vehicle antenna for the fob?
Can these be modified?

(I've never looked at this, I don't even know what frequency they use or type of antenna you would try..)

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Where is the internal vehicle antenna for the fob?
Can these be modified?

(I've never looked at this, I don't even know what frequency they use or type of antenna you would try..)

The module that receives the signal is the same module that senses your tire pressure monitors. It is located in the driver's side rear quarter panel behind the wheel well. To access it you have to pull the plastic panel inside. It is near the lift motor for the rear hatch if you have that option.

I am not certain about the antenna.

I need to replace mine as my TPMS act up at highway speeds and my remote start works but once started will not allow me to unlock the doors with the remote. I replaced the sensors in the wheels and that didn't fix it.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing the first thing to try if over time your fob seemed to lose range. Clean the battery and contacts. Just a little extra resistance here seemed to cause issue for many people.

After that, there is plenty of information out there for extending the range of a properly working fob. From adding an extra battery to the fob or a better antenna on a vehicle.

(Although on some S-10 pickups the receiver was under the dash, near the OBD port. I was thinking it would be similar on these vehicles, would not have thought they were in the back. )

njracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just hold it under your chin or just in front of your mouth when clicking, the human skull will amplify the signal a little bit (true story),

This! ^^^^

The range you get using your chin is night and day compared to just using the fob by itself. With a strong battery I can probably start the car from about 100yrds.

It's a good trick even if it makes you look a bit funny.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing the first thing to try if over time your fob seemed to lose range. Clean the battery and contacts. Just a little extra resistance here seemed to cause issue for many people.

After that, there is plenty of information out there for extending the range of a properly working fob. From adding an extra battery to the fob or a better antenna on a vehicle.

(Although on some S-10 pickups the receiver was under the dash, near the OBD port. I was thinking it would be similar on these vehicles, would not have thought they were in the back. )

On my '00 Jimmy, the receiver was mounted to the back of the driver's knee bolster. I took it apart and soldered a wire to the antenna (which was just a thick printed circuit on the circuit board) and ran the wire up the A-pillar. This almost doubled the range. This may work the same for the RKE/TPMS receiver.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know what kind of range we're talking about here or what the OP is expecting, but my fob with this Tahoe has the longest operating range of any fob/car I've ever used. Works at up to roughly 50 yds reliably and often works beyond that range.

2 cents

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He could also get the 2-Way Advanced Remotes, they have a longer range. My Montana's have at least three times the range compared with the Yukon, it's got to be poor reception due to foolish placement of the receiving antenna.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the module is back there, what is the little box behind the driver's side A pillar. It has a "this side up" tab and several wires coming out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645