If you give a mouse a cookie or choices, choices, choices.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anonymous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm the new owner of a 2001 Storm Grey Tahoe LT w/ a Delco H/U 9 speaker system and remote tape deck. The system is completely stock and doesn't sound bad (though I am half deaf), but the lack of an auxiliary input is killing me. I thought about adding one of these http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=99&CategoryID=24 so I can connect my phone and a CB radio.

That said, I'm also eyeing an aftermarket H/U for blue tooth, aux input and removing the tape deck (who still has one of those?) would leave a perfect spot for the CB radio. I've surfed Crutchfield, but with prices ranging from $60 to $1200, I'm not sure which one to get. What are the specs on the stock HU? I want to make sure I get something at least as well performing as stock, especially given the stock sub-woofer.

Are there any factory amps I need to worry about?

Also, does anyone know of a good CB antenna mount for these trucks?

EDIT: does On* still work on 2001 vehicles? will it give me any trouble with the aftermarket HU?

Last edited:

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, first of all, almost any aftermarket HU will be an improvement over stock. Second, are you even sure that stock sub still works?
The actual headunit isn't powering your speakers. Open the glovebox and you should find the stock amplifier behind there that feeds all the speakers and sub. If you are satisfied with the way it sounds now, then all you would need to do is choose a Single Din HU with a kit (it is a 1.5 Din opening, otherwise I would recommend a double-Din touchscreen HU (*Possible with modifications to the dash). You may have to splice one wire from the onstar harness to tap into the stock amplifier. Simple stuff.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Checked today, and the stock sub works fine. The EQ however sucks.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. I would def start by picking a nice HU. Most of the Crutchfield brands are good. What you get is dependent upon the features you need/want. If you think that you will eventually expand your system (subs, better speakers, etc), plan for that by getting a HU with sub pre-outs. No offense, but it doesn't sound like you are an audiophile, so you can probably get by with any HU that has the features you want and there are some reasonably priced with BT, Aux input and USB Input. I have owned Pioneer, Eclipse, Kenwood and Alpine and enjoyed them all. I currently have a Pioneer. If you feel like doing some cutting, def get a double Din Pioneer touchscreen- some current models have a video input to hook up a back up camera.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're right, I'm no audiophile. I've significant hearing loss in various frequency ranges. I get more out of watching music on oscilloscope and looking at bode plots then actually listening sometimes.

I ended up getting this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P8400BH/Pioneer-DEH-P8400BH.html?tp=5684#overview-tab. Has the features I need, which were primarily a 5 band or better EQ, blue tooth for my phone, and a REAR aux input (yes I did get the optional cable) for patching in my CB. The HD radio w/ RDS is nice and it has 6 channel preamp outputs for future expansion if needed.

The rear aux input was the biggest must. I'm not having a CB radio in the dash and then straining to hear the tiny speaker or running a wire out of the dash and then back into the face of the HU. The blue tooth was the second must, I was tired of using a patch cable. The rest was gravy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgjtools